Convert HZJ105 to 6-bolt hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here have any idea why Toyota put 5-bolt hubs on some or all of the HZJ105's? I'm pretty far away from civilization and both of my coworkers' 80's have 6-hole wheels. Kind of annoying that we can't share extra spare tires when things get ugly. Also puzzles me why Toyota would want to put 5-hole rims on vehicles this heavy? Especially considering how much we overload them and run them across terrible roads.

My 5-hole rims are getting pretty beat up, and it is a lot harder to find decent 5-hole rims than 6-hole. Seems like all of the other LC's here use 6-hole aside from the 105's and some of the 70's. Brand new 5-hole rims from the Toyota dealership are too pricy for me, and so far have not found another source for decent quality 5-hole wheels.

Wondering if I can/should consider converting to 6-bolt hubs for the sake of the extra availability and cheaper price of wheels, as well as the peace of mind of one more lug bolt? Anyone here ever done this?

Thanks.

That 5 hole is stronger than the 6 hole and they've moved to it on all their heavy stuff. The Tundras, 100's and 200's are all 5 lug.

Given the common axle parts between the 80 and the 105 there may indeed be a way to convert to 6 lug if you really want to.

Sorry I don't know more on that.

5 lugs are plenty strong and there's absolutely no need to convert to a 6 other than the fact that you can run different wheels. It'll be a lot cheaper and makes a lot more sense for you to get new wheels than to convert the hub.

I get your frustration, I sometimes see wheels I like from oem toyotas too but it's a difffent lug pattern. Not even sure why tundra was 5 bolts, then went to 6 bolts, now back to 5???

I thought the Tundra was all 5 lug, were the first gen 2x4 Tundras a 6-lug or something?

I thought the Tundra was all 5 lug, were the first gen 2x4 Tundras a 6-lug or something?
All V8 first gen Tundras were 6 lug. I think maybe some of the V6 first gens were 5 lug, but not sure. All second gen Tundras are 5 lug.

5x150, 14mm studs > 6x139.7, 12mm studs. Those 5 lugs provide more tensile and shear strength. Your buddies could use your spare wheel with a wheel adapter but you could not do the same due to the larger 105 hub bore diameter.

Bottom line... you need to find more 105 series buddies/late model 70 series buddies. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom