Convert a manual, bushed transfer output cluster to auto-style roller bearing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
I'm rebuilding my transfer box (38 mm idler from behind a 10.85+ H55F) and find a lot of slop in the high-range gear on the output shaft.

I see that transfer boxes from behind an automatic transmission have caged needle roller bearings in the high- and low-range output gears instead of the sintered bronze bushes. Seems like a far better design.

Has anyone swapped from bush to bearing? The output shafts, and gears have different part numbers, so I suspect it is not a simple job of pressing out the bushes and sitting it on bearings.

EO

Last edited:
It was a nice engineering upgrade but hardly necessary. After 290K miles on my FJ60 transfer case, the bushings were still fine.
The FJ62 had several upgrades over the 60 but the vehicle didn’t age any better. Actually worse due to increased complexity.

My vote: run what you’ve got. When it starts making a racket ten years from now— then replace or upgrade it.

The high-range gear has serious slop in it as I mentioned. Specifically about 5 times the limit as I recall, when checked with a dial indicator, so I am at that stage of replace/upgrade.

I think it would be possible if you have the correct output shaft and hi/low speed gears. The easier solution is to replace the hi-speed gear as it includes the bushing, 36203-60050

I think it would be possible if you have the correct output shaft and hi/low speed gears. The easier solution is to replace the hi-speed gear as it includes the bushing, 36203-60050
Thanks, yes indeed, that is my base plan, hoping that the very worn bush has not worn away the shaft. I just wondered if anyone knew whether the needle rollers used in the 'auto' transfer box (90364-40001) fitted on the 'manual' transfer box output shaft (and inside the output gears). The 'auto' transfer box output shaft, 36203-60050 is NLA, the 'manual' transfer box output shaft, 36203-60021, is still available.

Make sure you check the input gear splines. I'm sure they're toast. Long-spline input gear is well worth it.

Make sure you check the input gear splines. I'm sure they're toast. Long-spline input gear is well worth it.
The output shaft splines are fine, and the input gear is getting replaced as there is some face wear on the teeth, a couple of very minor chips, and it's the old style of input gear which has no chamfer for the O-ring which goes against the output shaft rear bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom