Controlling the ARB dual compressor with the "Magic Dial" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I know this has been done in different ways, but a MUD member contacted me for recommendations so I thought I'd post here for everyone.

Before you read any further: YES, THIS SETUP ALLOWS COMPRESSOR-ONLY OPERATION.

First, locate the diff-lock ECU connector in the right kick panel and use the 3 wires shown in the diagram to splice into the 4 wires from the ARB harness as shown, installing the diode with the band side connected to the pink/black wire.

CKMTA12 Wiring  to LC.JPG

Next, isolate the solenoids form the compressor by removing the black wire shown here.

CKMTA12 Mod.JPG

What this will do is allow the solenoids to operate only when the CDL is locked, just like the factory lockers.

Whenever the CDL is NOT locked, the diff lock dial can be rotated to either position and only the compressor will activate, allowing use for airing up, or air tools, or for your pneumatic blender.

Why the diode? Without it, the CDL dash-lamp will have a path to ground through the compressor relay via solenoid #1

Here it all is in schematic form:

Attachments

• OBA With Factory Wiring 2 Model (1).pdf
    27.3 KB · Views: 413
Thank You For your help sir, I am very grateful. My son and I will enjoy doing this project together.

You're welcome, let us know how the project goes.

My rig did not come with factory lockers. I have air lockers installed with the traditional 3 ARB switches. I would like to replace the three ARB switches with a magic dial...does the above work on rigs that did not have the factory locker and associated ECU?

I used compressor switch and magic dial , mine work anytime does not matter bout cdl and I came without factory lockers

...does the above work on rigs that did not have the factory locker and associated ECU?
Yes, that's the idea. The wiring you need is already in place. But if you are going to use ARB's small compressor, it would be a good idea to add a relay for the compressor due to the small gauge of the Toyota wires.

Last edited:
Good to know...I have both a small ARB compressor and the big twin ARB...I assume this would work for either one though...and both should obviously run through a relay.

Thanks for putting this together.

...I have air lockers installed with the traditional 3 ARB switches. I would like to replace the three ARB switches with a magic dial...
Wouldn't that preclude you from operating the front locker independent of the rear?

My ARB wiring is already setup to prevent you from using the front independent of the rear...so no loss there for me. I am sure there is a way that you could wire up an ARB to use the front only though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom