For Sale Complete FJ40 OM617a swap with H42 and toybox adapter NY USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

Please bear with me as I am not someone who frequently posts on forums. I will be working on getting pictures of the setup as soon as i'm free. I also have many videos of the setup in action, including a video driving into the garage the day my dad and I pulled it out.

I have the complete power-train from my truck for sale as I am going in a different direction.

I purchased the truck from another member on here last year as my original 4x4 was in a traffic accident. I bought the truck with the intention of pulling the power train from my old truck and putting it in the new truck.

2u3ytmf.jpg

There is a lot of details to list so here it goes:
-Complete swap including engine transmission from my 1978 FJ40
-1985 OM617a with ~130k miles on it removed from donor car and freshened up/balanced
-Complete rebuilt hybrid turbo setup from 1979 OM617a (pre-emissions for more power) with a 3" vband exit
-Custom accessory bracket that accommodates York drainboard air compressor.
-Hydraulic plumbing to Saginaw power steering
-Good tight H42 transmission
-Marlin crawler toybox adapter with 4.7 gears mated to R1fa transfer case from 1986 turbo toyota pickup (im keeping the shifters though)
-Adapter kit from OM617 to SBC
-H42 advanced adapters SBC adapter bell housing kit with SBC clutch/FW
-All wiring and glow plug harness complete with glow plug light and timer from original Mercedes
-New high torque mini-starter (500miles)
-All the mounts you need for the engine to the frame.
-115 amp alternator
-Engine gasket/seal kit including all gaskets and seals on the engine brand new in boxes

The list goes on and on, and I will try to update it when I get a chance. It would be best to just have a phone call to talk about the setup if you're serious.

A little background on the performance of the setup:

When i bought the truck it had 4.10:1 gears and 35" bias ply tires. it also had a 1985 turbo setup which was pretty anemic. The truck would barely go over 70MPH and would get ~16-18 MPG. I changed the turbo setup, added a 3" straight through exhaust, added a big air intake and snorkel, and then swapped over to 37" radial tires.

The difference was night and day. She would go over 90MPH (unadvised) and would consistently return 21-23MPG no matter how I drove it. She was happy to cruise at 73MPH all day long down the freeway. The biggest issue I had with the setup is that the gears were a little too tall for the engine, especially at low speed. The 3.56 first gear and 4.10s were asking a lot from the relatively short stroked engine. If I were to keep the setup a set of 4.56's or even 4.88s would have been perfect, and would have made the speedometer read more accurately.

I had all the instrumentation to tune the truck up installed. The Injection pumps on these engines really held them back. The EGT would rarely rise above 870-900*F flat out. There is barely any smoke produced, so it no wonder people cant get much power out of these engines stock. The next step for power was to change the injection pump, but that's where I left it when I pulled it out.

The engine runs great. It doesn't burn any oil at all, starts right up, and runs cool/quiet. I have both urethane and rubber engine mounts for the truck (both SBC). The engine is extremely smooth at idle, very little NVH with he rubber mounts. There is a small oil leak (about a quarter or two after a drive) that i never tracked down, so i bought every gasket and seal to fix it, but never got around to doing it.

The transmission shifts great, doesn't whine or grind at all. The setup would really be perfect for someone with either narrower axle gears, or a more unmolested truck that isn't sprung over with 37's like mine. For reference my truck was 4880 completely empty with everything removed.

I will PM you my phone number/email from here. I'm nervous to post my personal information because of spam :)

The setup is located in 12528, and my name is mike.

Again photos will soon follow.

I am asking 3k OBO for the complete setup.

Thank you,

Mike

Hello All,

I today received a down payment on the setup. If the buyer falls through for whatever reason I will inform this thread.

Thank you,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom