Color match for lower dash (FJ60 Grey interior) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully an easy question for the group. Has anyone found a good match for the lighter grey used on the lower dashboard in an FJ60? It's a mix of plastic and metal, so preferably a SEM color coat or other similarly flexible product.

Much Appreciated,

Kevin

Here’s a pic of lower bezel I rehabbed and painted with SEM Graphite. In person it’s a super close match to dash and vinyl. The led worklight I used in the background seems to have highlighted the blue in the SEM Graphite color.
This doesn’t match the gray of the lower trim - I’m also interested in the solution. Willing to try other colors - can vouch for the SEM Color Coat - it’s a solid product, covers well, smooth coat, and bonds strongly.
2201D5A9-CB08-4957-BD0D-862774145A39.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. I'm also a big fan of the SEM products and have used the Graphite for the darker bits and I agree that match is perfect. I have a spare glove box door that I may take on an adventure today to find something.

Cool. Anyone try any other SEM colors? Maybe Silver?

678F9226-A70C-4915-AEEF-2CA6B111825A.jpeg

I don't know if this is helpful but I picked up some paint for my brother at FinishMaster and asked them the same question about my lower dash. He said if I can bring in an example he would find a match. I guess what I'm saying is if you have a good automotive paint supply place they should be able to match it up.

Strange timing that I saw this thread tonight. I was actually at NAPA today getting a rattle can made up to paint my AC Bezel (1987 FJ60).

85483364-2A0F-4D60-A79C-D57F3CFDE012.jpeg

It had been painted by a PO way back when because my interior is grey but the bezel in my truck is from a brown cruiser.

Anyways, NAPA scanned my glove box door and found the closest match on file. It is a Hyundai color called charming grey.
Code: 912302.

39E26F17-DB0E-4684-BEB7-C8E323D2FBA1.jpeg

18F1F43A-8768-43E8-8203-A665593D2CC9.jpeg

I haven’t tried it yet - I’m going to spray the bezel tomorrow and will keep you posted.
NAPA uses a high quality PPG paint and said it should be fine on the plastic bezel as long as I use an adhesion promoter.

I was also looking at the SEM colors and ‘dark grey’ seemed to be a close match. That was just me eyeballing it in low light though...

Great info. Thanks for posting and let us know how it works out. I guess the "good" thing for me is I have to paint the whole lower dash so it doesn't actually need to be a perfect match, but I'll know if it's not and my compulsive brain just can't handle that.

Sorry for the late update, time ran away from me and I didn’t have time to spray the custom mix until this morning.

So it’s not terrible, but it’s not great. It’s a little darker and has maybe just a tad more brown in it than the stock grey color. It’s one of those things where no one will ever notice unless you point it out...but I’ll notice!

EB71518C-07D6-4EE7-9A3D-ABB29BF99176.jpeg

4E6F90C7-29A5-4C1E-B6C9-231BD321E32E.jpeg

Above are two pictures in two different lights.
The camera actually makes it look worse than it does in person.

Unfortunately, I won’t have my truck with me for a while, so I won’t be able to install it for better pictures. I have too many irons in the fire right now, so I’m going to leave as-is and then fix it down the road if it really bothers me that much. I still need to paint the black section in - I picked up some SEM trim black for that.

I see what you mean with it being a little off, but I bet in the shadows of the lower dash it'll be unnoticeable. Since I have to paint my whole lower dash, that may just work for me as it really is close enough. Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the reply - quite close - but so tough to match.

Went down the interior color hole. I may be rediscovering this but I found this color to be pretty close as well. The switch bezel is what I painted with it as a test… looks good in person again not a perfect match but I think it will work.

Went down the interior color hole. I may be rediscovering this but I found this color to be pretty close as well. The switch bezel is what I painted with it as a test… looks good in person again not a perfect match but I think it will work
Went down the interior color hole. I may be rediscovering this but I found this color to be pretty close as well. The switch bezel is what I painted with it as a test… looks good in person again not a perfect match but I think it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom