Coil Spring Repaint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone ever stripped or blasted coil springs (new or old) and recoated them? If so, what did you coat with for flexibility, abrasion resistance and longevity--and how did that work out?

Why would anyone want to take the risk on such a mission critical part? They're so cheap to replace as in less than a full tank of gas these days for 1 new spring.

Wtf - C'mon jay! :smokin:

Why would anyone want to take the risk on such a mission critical part? They're so cheap to replace as in less than a full tank of gas these days for 1 new spring.

Wtf - C'mon jay! :smokin:
Less than a Long Ranger tank of gas, maybe, given current prices... Personally, I'm not thinking of old coil springs; I'm thinking of new ones that come in bright colors that scream, "Hey, look at me! This truck features lots of costly goodies!" And so (for me, anyway) the question remains: what to coat them with?

Because I don't always get the right answer to my favorite question...

Last edited:
Look for a local powder coat place. That's the toughest and most flexible, by far.

If you don't want to do that, then alkyd enamel should remain somewhat flexible. So, plain old Rust-Oleum oil-based. Make sure to prep the surface well, at least using a maroon Scotch-Brite and degreaser.

I did this a few years ago. I've got old school 6" Slee springs. The powder coating didn't last all that long before it began chipping. Once that happened, rust started creaping under the powder and the rest started flaking off.
A few years ago I sanded the rest of the powder coat off using a small hand finish sander and scotchbrite sponge. I painted them with regular 'ol Rustoleum primer, a few coats of Safety Orange, followed by a couple coats of UV resistant clear coat. So far it has been holding up longer than the factory powder coating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom