coil pack replacement without knowing which (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey fellas. Love the forum. This thread helped me fix my 1998 LC. I just bought it w/ 145k and after a couple months it started missing one cold morning when I first started it and wouldn't snap out of it. Read this thread and lucked out that a buddy had a blue tooth application w/ code reader. Showed number 4 cylinder. I went to autozone and had them run their code reader while I was buying the coil pack. Autozone said 1-4 cylinder problems. Bought one coil pack and headed home. Changed number 4 pack and it still missed but not as bad. Bought another coil pack and installed on cylinder number 3. It runs like a top. They are relatively easy to change other than the air filter. I will keep a spare with me, blue tooth code reader and a nice metric socket set. Thanks for the info.

Nice result. Mud pays dividends, and the members know more than anyone about the 100, and like to help. And they encourage a habit, so be warned. Please do not answer if these questions strike you as impolite...what did you pay, and where did you buy the '98 LC?

Sent from my MUDPad

We bought in Cedar Rapids, IA for $8900. It was unmolested and all original from 2nd owner. Always wanted one so if I don't have any more trouble with this one for a while I think I will get rid of my 2005 Sierra 4x4. I don't need two 4wheelers.

Also, I've been combing the threads, but haven't seen a clear solution to clearing the CEL. I havent' tried the batter terminals yet, but I was hoping there was a way similar to how Honda's clear. Any quick hints would be great. Thanks again!

hey...its been 6-7 years since I started this thread....

today I got the miss....CEL came on, I knew what it was....a coil pack. 148K on it.

I had my spare(I got in 2007) in the glovebox. 2 years ago I bought a Innova scan tool at Costco...never even took it out of the box, so I did, hooked it up.....said P0305, coil #5. Being super lazy I called my Toyota parts guy and asked which one was #5?, 3rd from the front...

replaced, scanned again, drove it, no code, erased code.

total time....30 minutes...phone call took the longest ;)

gotta admit the scan tool is pretty handy. I am use to old stuff, out of 8 Cruisers it will only work on the 2x 100's

so I will grab another spare coil pack and toss it in the glovebox with the scan tool.

thanks again :)

Will it always throw a code when the coil goes bad?
I am experiencing hesitation on acceleration and I thought I heard it backfire briefly this morning. It drives good on the freeway and after it sputters on launch from the light it takes off. I have to put my foot to the floor and it breaks through the hesitation. Not quite sure what to think. I made it to work this morning fine but we will see how it goes on the way home.... The CEL is not on so I can't read any codes to help identify the issue. This Cruiser has been up to date on all service and has been super reliable. I hope it is just a coil pack going, I don't know what else it could be. Any suggestions?

Will it always throw a code when the coil goes bad? I am experiencing hesitation on acceleration and I thought I heard it backfire briefly this morning. It drives good on the freeway and after it sputters on launch from the light it takes off. I have to put my foot to the floor and it breaks through the hesitation. Not quite sure what to think. I made it to work this morning fine but we will see how it goes on the way home.... The CEL is not on so I can't read any codes to help identify the issue. This Cruiser has been up to date on all service and has been super reliable. I hope it is just a coil pack going, I don't know what else it could be. Any suggestions?

Same symptoms on mine were a single bad spark plug fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD while navigating gnarly trail. Typos are inherent.

Seriously, throw a $40 reader in your tool box, along with a copy of Trunk's list. Done!
A reader will clarify many hard to diagnose faults that can't be peed on but can leave you stuck unless you know what's going on.
I carry a ton of spares for the racecar, almost all of which are things that have failed in the past. I'd pay big for a box of the parts that are going to fail next.

2 questions for the collective:

I've got 270k on my beast, best vehicle in the history of the world.

At 265, I had my first coil pack go out. Classic symptoms, all described in this forum, fixed in nothing flat. So thank you, thank you, for this great forum!

2 months later, I had a second coil go out. Fixed instantly.

Question 1: should I just go ahead and replace the rest?

Question 2: Since the right about when the first coil pack went out, I have been getting 12 mpg, after a decade of near absolute 15mpg. No change in usage. But I did have a major service just before then, including replacing all the plugs. Related or likely something else?

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Been reading thru the treads on coil pack replacement. What I haven't seen yet is if it's possible to statically check resistance of the pack? There are 4 terminals on the plug connection. I've tested resistance between pins 1-3 & 1-4 (left to right 1-4). Each showing between 24.5~27.0 k ohm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just replaced #2 pack today. Easy job, Oreillys auto $83. Now just need to hook up OBD & clear the CEL. Thx for thread info! Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom