Builds Codyaustin5's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting your builds. Any updates or hindsight you can share?

I'm looking to build a new-to-me 2017 LC200 - thanks
Thanks! Take your time and research what your needs are. These are so capable stock and just adding AT tires and sliders will get you most places. This time around I wanted to stay more true to the vehicle with no bumpers or snorkel. I really like the look of the 16+ especially with my aggressive grill.

I’ve stated before but I’m a huge fan of D rated tires. I’m pretty sensitive to noises and feel in the truck and I personally don’t like E rated tires. They feel heavy and sluggish.

Favorite mods by far are the sliders and compressor. I use the compressor all the time and the sliders with the kickout is a great step for roof access and kids getting in and out.

On the BPs I’m a huge fan but hear others struggle with settings. If you don’t have the settings right it really affects the ride quality. I personally really like the BPs other than adjusting the settings. But set it once and you’ll be good.

I like the new grill... Where from and how are you liking it?
Love the grill! Get compliments all the time. Found it on eBay and labeled as TRD sport grill. I think they are on Russia and Japan models. Fits perfect with no gaps. One suggestion is buy a new center Toyota emblem as you’ll break the tabs when removing the old one from your stock grill. Will save a lot of time.

Loved reading the build thread. I’ve got a question on Wildrock 1. It looks like you had a grey interior with grey Weathertech? I just picked up an 08 LX570 with a grey interior and can’t figure out whether grey Weathertech will match or if it will be too light (in which case I’ll go with black). Appreciate the help!
Sorry WR1 had a black interior with black weather techs. Not sure on grey. I would just go with black.

So glad I happened across your thread. We have the exact same taste and My '14 will likely end up a spinning image of WildRock.

A question for you:
Can you speak to the effects on drivability and economy that your modifications had on your '13? I know we don't buy these pigs to be fuel efficient, but I would like to try to limit the effects as much as possible. Looking more specifically at the tires and bumpers, did you take much of a hit on fuel burn? Also, did you pick up much/any wind noise off of the ARB front? Thanks!

So glad I happened across your thread. We have the exact same taste and My '14 will likely end up a spinning image of WildRock.

A question for you:
Can you speak to the effects on drivability and economy that your modifications had on your '13? I know we don't buy these pigs to be fuel efficient, but I would like to try to limit the effects as much as possible. Looking more specifically at the tires and bumpers, did you take much of a hit on fuel burn? Also, did you pick up much/any wind noise off of the ARB front? Thanks!
Thanks! Honestly I never noticed much effect on drivability or gas with the built ‘13. It maybe dropped 1-2mpg with everything on it. Where I really noticed the difference was the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 34”. Those were heavy and impacted overall feel. Really liked the BFG KO2 34” D rated but a little narrow. Bumpers made no impact on wind noise, neither did the prinsu when I had it. Although I had to use weather stripping on the front to eliminate some whistling. Look for D rated tires which in my opinion is the sweet spot for everyday drivability and can air down off road.

You're a legend, good sir. Thank you for the input. Did you tune your BP-51's yourself, or have Slee do it?

Haha that’s funny!

Slee tuned the BPs initially but I made my own tweaks to fine tune it. The adjustments are pretty dramatic when you play with it and everyone has their own personal taste so I would suggest to anyone to play with the settings from all 10s to all 1s and find the happy medium.

In lieu of starting another build thread I’m just going to continue so others can see the progress from the ‘13 to the ‘19.

Absolutely love the ‘19 and looking forward to a fresh new build. Which is always the most fun!

Wheels and tires: I originally planned to put the new Tundra BBS wheels on but after searching for 18” tires I couldn’t find what I was looking for. Sold the BBS wheels and acquired basically brand new Rock Warriors. I’ll be keeping these stock color whereas last time I powder coated them black.

I have never been happy when I’ve had E rated tires and my favorite tires to date were the KO2 34/10.5-17 which were D rated. Those tires took me everywhere and did awesome. Unfortunately they are skinnier and I used spacers to poke them out a little bit.

This time around no spacers and went with the standard 285/70-17 in a relatively new tire, Pirelli Scorpion all Terrain Plus, which is a D load tire. Reviews were fantastic from my research. First impressions is it’s everything I was hoping for on the street. No change in acceleration and no feeling of being heavy. A little more firm than the stockers which is what you want and look awesome! We’ll find out soon how they do off road but they also carry the snowflake certification which is a nice bonus.

Underbody: previously I had the ARB skid plates and will do them again. For the off roading I do they work great and gave plenty of protection on the ‘13 with 4 years of LCDC adventures. They’ll be installed this weekend and also added the ARB tow hooks courtesy of Matt.

Next steps: appointment is set with Slee in 2 weeks to get some remaining goodies installed.

View attachment 1991009

View attachment 1991010

View attachment 1991011

View attachment 1991012

View attachment 1991013

Now that you’ve had them for a while, how are you liking the Pirelli Scorpions? Do they perform well in the rain/mud/snow? How’s the road noise and ride? I’m heavily considering these for my LC.

Awesome looking truck man. Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

Looks good Cody!

Thought I would update this thread. Got bored with the rock warriors and wanted a change so sprung for some heritage wheels with 275/70-18 Toyo Open Country AT3. Load E. Typically not a fan of E rated tires but the Toyos are super light compared to others and after driving for the last week they feel great. Super quiet and no impact on feel of the 200. Absolutely love the wheels! Was on the fence and almost got the TRD Pro wheels in black but man the bronze is sweet on gray!

Picked up some painted black door moldings to eliminate the chrome but feel like I should either match remaining chrome or just do body matched door molding and call it a day. The gray/black/bronze is a pretty killer combo and like it better than my silver/black theme on WR1. More to come on the chrome.

Added those 3D cup holders and work as advertised... much more useful for standard drinks and not tipping over anymore.

Other than that working on LCDC7 and spending time on my new 80 and building that one up. The 80 is such a sweet rig and love everything about it.

I’ll be bringing the 80 and 200 to LCDC this year!

updated pics... also wifey picked up a ‘21 GX in atomic silver. Wish they offered that color on the 200! Traded in her ‘19.

03DF1F7E-F9F8-47A8-8534-8B5DF5876D4B.jpeg

239DEDA7-ACF4-4515-849F-663E837337B3.jpeg

A0728277-112D-4E40-99DB-A8733BCA6BD4.jpeg

253FD5C2-1095-4E29-A834-A9145BCF6418.jpeg

ADC79AF6-D137-4E06-BA10-5AC92393FAB2.jpeg

Hey Codyaustin5,

I appreciate your thread, it has given me inspiration.
I'm having a tough time deciding between 2 tires that you have tried, the Pirelli All Terrain plus and the Toyo Open Country AT3, can you shed some light on comparing how the 2 ride and handle? From pictures, the Toyo AT3s look a little more aggressive (which I prefer), but have also heard good things about the Pirelli AT plus.

TIA

Hey Codyaustin5,

I appreciate your thread, it has given me inspiration.
I'm having a tough time deciding between 2 tires that you have tried, the Pirelli All Terrain plus and the Toyo Open Country AT3, can you shed some light on comparing how the 2 ride and handle? From pictures, the Toyo AT3s look a little more aggressive (which I prefer), but have also heard good things about the Pirelli AT plus.

TIA
Appreciate it! Tires are a very personal preference. But whenever possible I’d go with D rated tires unless major towing. What size are you debating on? The Pirelli’s were great and never had issues with them. Had them for 2 CO winters and 2 LCDCs. Highly recommend the 285/70-17 load D. They didn’t offer a D in my new size of 18s so went back to the drawing board.

I chose the Toyo based on the new design and compound but also overall weight of the E vs all the others. It’s significantly lighter than others. Haven’t had them on any snow or ice yet so can’t comment quite yet but they are smooth and low road noise. If I still had the RW size I would probably give the Toyos a try as well.

Appreciate it! Tires are a very personal preference. But whenever possible I’d go with D rated tires unless major towing. What size are you debating on? The Pirelli’s were great and never had issues with them. Had them for 2 CO winters and 2 LCDCs. Highly recommend the 285/70-17 load D. They didn’t offer a D in my new size of 18s so went back to the drawing board.

I chose the Toyo based on the new design and compound but also overall weight of the E vs all the others. It’s significantly lighter than others. Haven’t had them on any snow or ice yet so can’t comment quite yet but they are smooth and low road noise. If I still had the RW size I would probably give the Toyos a try as well.
Ah I see, my stock size is 275/60/18 but I would like to go up to either 275/65/18 or 275/70/18 and I hardly tow anything so don't exactly need the E load either. Regarding comfort/smoothness and road noise, are both tires about the same? Looks wise I think I'm leaning towards the Toyo Open Country AT3s

Ah I see, my stock size is 275/60/18 but I would like to go up to either 275/65/18 or 275/70/18 and I hardly tow anything so don't exactly need the E load either. Regarding comfort/smoothness and road noise, are both tires about the same? Looks wise I think I'm leaning towards the Toyo Open Country AT3s
Go for the Toyos... newer design and look/drive great!

Thought I would update this thread. Got bored with the rock warriors and wanted a change so sprung for some heritage wheels with 275/70-18 Toyo Open Country AT3. Load E. Typically not a fan of E rated tires but the Toyos are super light compared to others and after driving for the last week they feel great. Super quiet and no impact on feel of the 200. Absolutely love the wheels! Was on the fence and almost got the TRD Pro wheels in black but man the bronze is sweet on gray!

Picked up some painted black door moldings to eliminate the chrome but feel like I should either match remaining chrome or just do body matched door molding and call it a day. The gray/black/bronze is a pretty killer combo and like it better than my silver/black theme on WR1. More to come on the chrome.

Added those 3D cup holders and work as advertised... much more useful for standard drinks and not tipping over anymore.

Other than that working on LCDC7 and spending time on my new 80 and building that one up. The 80 is such a sweet rig and love everything about it.

updated pics... also wifey picked up a ‘21 GX in atomic silver. Wish they offered that color on the 200! Traded in her ‘19.

View attachment 2561062

View attachment 2561063

View attachment 2561064

View attachment 2561065

View attachment 2561066
Hey Codyaustin5, What does the other side wall of your Toyo's look like?

@codyaustin5 random and off-topic of the thread, but where did you find that 80? Looks super clean

View attachment 2561062

View attachment 2561063
Which sliders are those? White Knuckle?

Last edited:
Which sliders are those? White Knuckle?
White Knuckle Sliders... I have them on 3 Cruisers... they are fantastic and love the kick out for reaching roof and kids getting in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom