Coalmont (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations to everyone associated with the process and Thank You!!!!

Just a few years ago I thought this sport was doomed to be shut down by the tree huggers and our own politicians but these kinds of events bring me new hope to the future of off-roading. We need more places to ride and in the last year or two we've been fortunate enough to have several new parks open up here in the southeast.

I say again, :cheers: to everyone involved!!

The real work is still ahead of us.
The construction grant will pay for materials and heavy equipment rental but will need volunteers to do the work.
Once the engineering plans are approved we will need lots of volunteers to improve road, put in gravel parking lot and primitive camping. And if there is enough money left a bath house. There will also be trail work and putting up signs.

Roger, does the town have an Engineer they are working with. We work for several of the utilities and communities in that area and I would be glad to help as I can.

Yes they do, Ben Farmer, he did the original business plan and tried to create a State Park, but for now we are stuck with him.

... we will need lots of volunteers to improve road

dare you say "improve the road", that's blasphemy and counter intuitive if you ask me (Except for the parking lot of course.) o_O Drop that part and put it toward the bath houses. :grinpimp:

I know I know, you don't have to tell me you can't.:flipoff2:

I was referring to the access road that the tow rigs and RVs will use to get to parking lot.

If there is any need for environmental permitting, I'd be happy to assist. This would likely be associated with road work (i.e. Culvert replacement, widening, etc) in the vicinity of streams/wetlands.

If there is any need for environmental permitting, I'd be happy to assist. This would likely be associated with road work (i.e. Culvert replacement, widening, etc) in the vicinity of streams/wetlands.

Thanks, currently Farmer is being paid by the grant. He is working on the permit for parking area as it will be greater than 1acre.

Roger, sounds like @tgreco has some permitting in his background as do I, if the group has any questions or would like a second set of eyes on anything, please let us know. Also, what agency is the grant thru and who is assisting with the admin of that grant? I know how much background work goes into these types of projects just to get them funded, so kudos to everyone who has pushed this to this point. And while I web wheel more then real wheel these days, this falls into my actual real world job description, so if I can assist in any way just let me know.

And if you all need some assistance with the grant admin, I know some folks who do that as well.

Look forward to seeing this come together.

Mathew, the grant is Recreational Trails Program money from Feds administered by the State through TDEC. We started this project in 2010. We are about to form the Advisery committee, I'll let you know if we need help. Thanks.

Roger did you get to go to the ribbon cutting?

Good deal. Those parks grants are a bear. And regarding admin, I meant who locally, town, Mr Farmer or other organization is doing grant oversight and keeping up with grant compliance. (Wage rates, payrolls, environmental, historical, etc.)

I have seen some small communities taken advantage of in similar situations. Not suggesting that Mr Farmer is doing anything like that, I have no personal or professional experience with him, just know outside/ third party administrators help limit that exposure. Southeast TN Devolpment District works with a number of communities in that area, does that ring any bells?

Also, are there any plans or maps of the proposed park that can be shared publicly? I'm interested in the area and proposed usage overlay.

Roger did you get to go to the ribbon cutting?
Yes even had to go podium and speak. Had a lot of dignitaries, all local mayors and county officials, Janice Bowking, Scott DesJarles, assistant director of TDEC , TDEC recreation director and more.

Matthew see club FB page for map. Yes they are working with SE development district. We still have a lot of details to workout going forward, will have more info after next weeks meeting. SFWDA/STLCA are covering a large part of the cost share with labor and STLCA will be in charge of tracking hours and converting to $.

When you look at the map, in the lower right corner where the yellow trail line crosses the boundary that is flat rock the farthest point north we have gone on last few NYs rides.

Thanks, currently Farmer is being paid by the grant. He is working on the permit for parking area as it will be greater than 1acre.

That's good and also that TDEQ is on the board. As everyone here is well aware, there have been a lot of poorly founded lawsuits being slung around nowadays. It's always good to dot your Is and cross your Ts with environmental issues as it can blow up real quick - Durhamtown Tellico and Chocco are recent examples. As long as you guys make sure to manage sediment and erosion control, you're likely good. Knowing the use, dirt/mud are likely in the park and keeping it out of streams will go a long way to keeping the park open.

I'm preaching to the choir here and likely sticking my head somewhere it doesn't belong, but the engineer should be reminded regularly of this.

Good luck and great work keeping the trails open. :beer:

The engineer is a civic planner and know almost nothing about trails. That work will be done by Southern volunteers and if you are experienced you recommendation would be welcome. We do have a number of people that have built trails, put in water bars and silt traps in other areas.

subscribed

1300 acres! WOW!

Nice one guys :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom