Clutch Start-Cancel Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone add a Clutch Start-Cancel Switch to a 40? I hate how my (or anyone else's) kids could turn the key and crank her up. Just seems really dangerous without one.

then i would half to push this clutch start-cancel switch when im wheeling, just dont leave the key in the truck

Podzie said:
Anyone add a Clutch Start-Cancel Switch to a 40? I hate how my (or anyone else's) kids could turn the key and crank her up. Just seems really dangerous without one.

It would take ALOT of creative wiring to put one in.
And it would drive you nuts on the trail.

Better yet, teach them how to drive a stick PROPERLY, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Life is dangerous.

Keep the key out of the ignition unless you are going to be operating the vehicle.

Will work EVERY time.

:beer:

No offense to Podzie, but my response to this question is this. People didn't have clutch switches until the 80's, did people get hurt all over the world all the time by cars starting. Not really. Bottom line, tell the kids to stay out of the car. As said above life is dangerous, set some rules, it will do wonders.

Remove the key, or another alternative, wire in a start button on the dash. Make it hot only when the key is on and disable the start at the key, that will stop kids and some people from starting your rig. Easier solution than a switch on the clutch pedal.

MoCoNative said:
No offense to Podzie, but my response to this question is this. People didn't have clutch switches until the 80's, did people get hurt all over the world all the time by cars starting. Not really. Bottom line, tell the kids to stay out of the car. As said above life is dangerous, set some rules, it will do wonders.

Remove the key, or another alternative, wire in a start button on the dash. Make it hot only when the key is on and disable the start at the key, that will stop kids and some people from starting your rig. Easier solution than a switch on the clutch pedal.

Because everyone knows that those switches are Bullsh8t anyway, right? :rolleyes: I'm trying to take extra precaution to look after those dear to me. Everyone doesn't remove the keys EVERY time.

you could always just leave it in neutral and use the parking brake. actually, i like the option of being able to use the starter to move a stalled truck in case of an emergency.

Johnnymiz said:
you could always just leave it in neutral and use the parking brake. actually, i like the option of being able to use the starter to move a stalled truck in case of an emergency.
agreed on the starter. My friend had to do this himself on the last W*o*R trip up farmington canyon when his carb let him down again. If it hadn't been for that we woulda been there for awhile

Podzie said:
Because everyone knows that those switches are Bullsh8t anyway, right? :rolleyes: I'm trying to take extra precaution to look after those dear to me. Everyone doesn't remove the keys EVERY time.

Then when the car owner leaves the keys in the ignition, do they somehow become immune to the responsibility associated with that action? I fail to understand how something can be so important to someone, yet, they want someone else to remove the risk and be held accountable for their actions/decisions....

I guess if you really feel this strongly about the lack of clutch start cancel on your Land Cruiser, you can either sell it, or go out to your garage and fabricate up a switch bracket and a travel stop positioner for the clutch pedal assembly(something similar to the brake light switch mount) to work with your normally open switch and mount your over ride switch on the dash, and wire them into the start wire on the starter motor…provided you have tools that can do this type of fabrication work in your garage, since many of them that you may find useful to this task possess a fair amount of inherent danger in their use. ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Podzie said:

Actually, I think I might remove it every single time that I don't plan on starting the car. If i didn't, I probably wouldn't have my cruiser for very long, cuz I'm sure there are a lot of people around here who would be very happy to find the key just sitting inside the car.

No offense, yes those switches are bullsh*t because they are just another so called "safety precaution" which is just another way of catering to the lowest common denominator. I rank them right up there with those annoying seatbelt buzzers. You already have safety switch that prevents the car from starting. It's a pretty secure one too because you need a key to turn it, so nobody else can do it accidentally. It just doesn't make sense that you are overriding one very important and effective safety precaution (by leaving the key in the ignition) and trying to compensate for that by adding another (clutch switch). That's like building a steel cage around your cruiser just so you don't have to lock the doors.

I understand you want to be safe, but it would be safer to teach your kids not to be playing in the drivers seat trying to start the car, rather than trying to prevent them from starting it. Because all that's going to do is give both of you a false sense of security, not every car out there is gonna have a safety switch. And what kind of switch are you gonna put in there to prevent them from shifting into neutral?

Last edited:
Poser said:
Then when the car owner leaves the keys in the ignition, do they somehow become immune to the responsibility associated with that action? I fail to understand how something can be so important to someone, yet, they want someone else to remove the risk and be held accountable for their actions/decisions....

I guess if you really feel this strongly about the lack of clutch start cancel on your Land Cruiser, you can either sell it, or go out to your garage and fabricate up a switch bracket and a travel stop positioner for the clutch pedal assembly(something similar to the brake light switch mount) to work with your normally open switch and mount your over ride switch on the dash, and wire them into the start wire on the starter motor…provided you have tools that can do this type of fabrication work in your garage, since many of them that you may find useful to this task possess a fair amount of inherent danger in their use. ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Now that's what I'm talkin about, Fat Man! I want your answers and not your opinions about why, why not, who, and whatthefvck........Tell me how to wire it and quit your GD bellyaching. Jeez, whadya need another f'in doughnut before you can answer? Go ahead. I'll wait. :flipoff2:

Get bent.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Podzie said:
Now that's what I'm talkin about, Fat Man! I want your answers and not your opinions about why, why not, who, and whatthefvck........Tell me how to wire it and quit your GD bellyaching. Jeez, whadya need another f'in doughnut before you can answer? Go ahead. I'll wait. :flipoff2:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
asshat-sombrero.gif

Podzie said:

wow telling off poser you might want to join the pirate form so we can flame you like the newbe you are

Neutral Safety switches were never intended to prevent children from starting the car. They were and are designed to keep space cowboys from starting it in gear and lurching into the tricycle in the driveway that hopefully doesn't have a kid in it.

ducktapeguy is right. Take the key out of the ignition if you don't want someone else to start your car.

Now that's what I'm talkin about, Fat Man! I want your answers and not your opinions about why, why not, who, and whatthefvck........Tell me how to wire it and quit your GD bellyaching. Jeez, whadya need another f'in doughnut before you can answer? Go ahead. I'll wait.
You're going to be waiting awhile. :rolleyes:

Podzie said:

Personally, I don't have a problem with the desire to add a clutch safety switch if your truck doesn't see real off road use. As an ex-safety manager in a large manufacturing plant, I've learned the hard way that taking a "belt AND suspenders" approach can avoid accidents and even save lives.

Other than fabbing the brackets, as Poser stated, installing and wiring such a switch would not be particularly difficult to do.

However, because you're obviously a demanding, whining ass, and because you've attacked and insulted one of the true assets on Mud who typically spends an enormous amount of time assisting clueless noobs like you, I'm not going to help you.

I know, holy resurrected thread. I should let it go, but I don't want to. The clutch-start cancel switch/ circuit actually was designed to allow starting (one time) without depressing the clutch. So OP would have found no use from installing one. What the guy wanted was a clutch switch circuit with a clutch cancel start switch so he could sometimes push the button and fire her up without depressing the clutch.

Oh, I can do more than be a know-it-all. For future "clutch start cancel" searchers here's a diagram that shows how Mr.T wires the switches from the factory. Now there's no need to leave 'Mud to find the info you want. If the link goes bad PM me and I'll fix it.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxrUWWc-W5lzRzZjVHlPb1NwRmc/edit?usp=docslist_api

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom