clutch creaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
Whenever I engage the clutch, I can hear squeaking/creaking from under the truck.

Also, the clutch pedal or booster makes its own creak, like a spring rubbing as it is compressed or stretched. I took the return spring off and the noise remains.

Anyone else experience this?

May be the throw out bearing.
My gut feelng is it is the spring fingers of the clutch sounding off as they pivot.

A lot of the pedal noise is from a small pin that connects the pedal to a clevis. When you remove it looks ok, but when you compare it a new one you will see how much wear it has.
You can get some temporary relief by turning the pin 180 degrees and smearing it with grease. But the effort is not worth it as its in an infuriating position and you don't want to have to do it again 6 months later.
Pin part number 90249-08018.
Bush part number 90386-08002

I did my FJ73 pin twice I think but neither of my HZJ75 needed it. Maybe something was bent.

One of the first things I did on my 70 (back on my 60 series as well) was to change out all of those consumables at the pedal mechanism.

Besides the two part numbers above by Rosco, I would change out all of the following:

90386-13192: 2
90507-14015: 1
90101-10131: 1 (make sure to grease this sucker)
90387-10089: 1
90468-16142: 1
90541-06008: 1

Thanks for the advice fellas!
I will get those parts ordered.
I'll get the similar bits for the brake pedal too.

Waiting for parts to ship.

I removed the clutch fork boot and spayed some lube in there. I used an extension tube and tried to keep the spray parallel to the fork. I did my best to get the pivot point and the connections between fork and throwout.
That part of the noise is gone.

I installed all the clutch pedal related parts last weekend.
I used gray anti-seize as grease.
A tiny amount of creaking remains but I think it is the body mount holding the pedal pivot in place.
Savage roar of the 13BT drowns it out easily.

Thanks for the help!

My clutch has a savage creak. I've been using it with a broken clutch booster because no functional one could be obtained, but I just found one for sale in China for $118 with free shipping, so I've bought all new bushes/pins and the new booster and hope to one day have a nice clutch

So it turns out that the booster I got from China does not fit and is not correct, although it is referred to by the seller with the Toyota Part # (31440 60030) that the online parts diagram says I need.

Still going to look at converting my clutch to non-boosted & freshening up the pedal with new parts (bushings, pin etc) which are currently sitting on my coffee table

My BJ74 booster is located in the cabin, with the firewall between it and the turbo.

My BJ74 booster is located in the cabin, with the firewall between it and the turbo.

Yes, that's normal. My BJ73 booster is located on the engine bay side of the firewall, on a large bulky bracket. They're different boosters. The part # for a BJ73 booster from the online parts diagrams has resulted in me receiving a BJ74 booster.

I think I will proceed with Plan A, which is delete the booster system entirely, using some kind of adapter plate on the firewall to mount a master cyl from a non-boosted BJ7x. Will have to shorten and re-flare the hardline and make an adapter plate to mount to and stiffen the firewall, and probably lengthen the threaded rod for the new master cyl.

This will give me a simpler system, and more engine bay space for a turbo. And hopefully a non-creaky clutch. I don't mind it being heavy if it's smooth.

Making the firewall stiffer could make the creak go away.
I can see the bracket that is meant add strength to where my booster attaches flexing when the pedal is pushed.

So my replacement booster arrived. I bought this Clutch Booster for LAND CRUISER BJ73 1985 MODEL Mid Wheel Base 3.4l Diesel | eBay and it arrived pretty quickly. The studs for the master cylinder were 90° off what they needed to be, but I managed to pull the booster body apart and reclock it relatively simply, so it's now installed and working with a minimum of fuss. The squeak has gone from my clutch, and it's now feathery light - almost too light, I can barely feel any defined point where it bites.

MAAwMGG.jpg

Looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom