Clunking from front end after SAS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hell I think I may try duct taping the tie rod ends? Just to see if that cancels it out? Still not sure what do about the shackles, trail gear does not specify a torque for them on the install. I will admit I feel alot better about this knowing i'm not the only person with this problem. I will check the motor mounts and the battery as well... good call. I didn't even think to look there. Thanks everyone, keep me posted if you think of anything else!

yeah it is definatelly nice to know there are others with this sound haha. thanks!

Oh yeah...my SAS made tons of noise when it was new. Mostly spring noise and mostly cause it was too tall, and the body roll was excessive, but even now that the truck is 22" to the frame on 37's I still get noises. And after chasing those noises and tearing everything down to only find nothing, ive learned to tell the difference between the sounds...most of them I ignore.

I had an enoying clunk when id go around corners and over bumps from 2 worn out tie rods on the level steering bar would just slop back and forth the tie rods from the trail gear highsteer kit are identical to the ones found in an 80 series landcruiser
I got new ones from lordco for i think 24$ each it doesnt clunk any more there but i swear my leaf springs seperate and make noise or somthing when i turn...

I get the same noise going around left corners at slow speeds as well I can feel it in the floor. I have gone over everything in the front end and not found anything wrong.

I'm going to try changing my TRE's to the 555 brand ones next.

i was intending that solution for the OP.

Rob
if you jack up the axle and grab the tire and tug it left and right there should be minimal play. if there is excess, tug on it top and bottom. if there is same threshold of play wheelbearings too loose. if its only left and right its tie rods too loose.

if the springs have no plastic shim in between them they will not only skweek but will pop too

In my case there all new OME springs, bushings and shackles, all greased and no slop. It did this with the TG stuff as well.

Good thing you figured it was the cheapy TG stuff and replaced it with Hiquality stuff that does the same thing.
:doh:

I blame TrailGear, its always their fault.:hmm: Ha Ha.

Good thing you figured it was the cheapy TG stuff and replaced it with Hiquality stuff that does the same thing.
:doh:

I blame TrailGear, its always their fault.:hmm: Ha Ha.

I did not replace the TG stuff because of the clunk.

My truck had an irritating clunk coming from the front end after I finished the SAS, I couldn't figure it out. Then I had someone sit in the seat and turn the wheel back and forth while I put my hands all over every possible spot that could be making noise, to feel for movement. Turns out it was the springs sliding back and forth just a tiny bit in the front fixed hanger. I tried wedging a big washer spacer in there to tighten things up, but it was too tight of a fit. The noise is still there, I just ignore it. I may try to fix it somehow when I get to rebuilding the suspension.

My truck had an irritating clunk coming from the front end after I finished the SAS, I couldn't figure it out. Then I had someone sit in the seat and turn the wheel back and forth while I put my hands all over every possible spot that could be making noise, to feel for movement. Turns out it was the springs sliding back and forth just a tiny bit in the front fixed hanger. I tried wedging a big washer spacer in there to tighten things up, but it was too tight of a fit. The noise is still there, I just ignore it. I may try to fix it somehow when I get to rebuilding the suspension.

plastic oil plug crush washers make for cheap easy spacers sometimes :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom