Last night I attended the Rising Sun monthly business meeting. Just wanted to share a couple of notes. There were nearly 80 people at the meeting and dozens of rigs in the parking lot. It was super impressive to see that many people who share a common passion in one place.
First - Here are a few upcoming things they mentioned:
1. There are still a few slots available for Cruise Moab 2016.
2. Rocky Mountain Overland (Rocky Mountain Overland | Experience the Journey) is hosting a back country communications class this Saturday from 0900-1200 in Denver. The class is free but they would like attendees to register.
The rest of the meeting was pretty typical. All of the attendees introduced themselves - they introduced by name, mud handle, and occupation, and what each person drives, they did officer and committee reports like we do (but their treasury has nearly $13,000 in it!), they conducted a raffle, and of course allowed me to talk a little bit about what Colorado Land Cruisers is all about and what we have coming up.
What I talked about:
1. I told them about our upcoming trail run on the 16th. Many of them seemed interested in coming and wrote down the basic details. However, I would still like to provide them with more detailed information so if we can get that by early next week I will pass it along on their forum. One of their senior members - Jeff Zepp - mentioned that CLC and Rising Sun used to conduct a joint meet called "Run The Gulches". Anyone have a clue when we used to do that (time of year). Maybe we should reenergize it. Thoughts?
2. I invited them to a meet and greet on 23 April at Rock Yard Brewing Company. A good friend of mine from their club (Dan Markofsky) came up with the idea a couple weeks ago. Right now we are looking at meeting for a brewery tour and a few beers around 2PM. I hope we can make a good showing. I bet there will be some pretty nice rigs there.
Other things I learned:
1. Our club hasn't had a representative at the Colorado State Association in several years. The next quarterly meeting is on the 16th of April. Unfortunately I am not able to attend because of my race, but was wondering if anyone else could attend. I will find out more details and post them to this thread later. In the future I will put these on my schedule to attend and represent CLC.
2. We can apply our trail time and any cleanup towards trail advocacy with the State Association. The state association helps with trail adoption and state-level advocacy on our behalf. We need to appoint a land use coordinator in our club to collect our "volunteer" hours. Rising Sun placed fifth this year in volunteer hours with nearly 1900 hours.
There are a few other things to talk about but this is enough for now. I will recap at the business meeting on the 19th and bring more details. For now I just ask everyone to please come to the next meeting and try to bring a new prospect. Please mark your calendars for the 23rd!
Thanks for attending John! Sounds like a lot of great info, and that folks want to work together to do things. I know I want to participate in the 40s only run this year since I missed last year. I won't be able to make the 23rd, but hopefully we have a great turn out. Keep up the great work...
We need a refresh on the club members' phone numbers and email addresses. I'm not sure of the best method to achieve that--I have phone numbers for 6-7 of you, and those same 6-7 have my phone number. So perhaps if you don't have my phone number, send me a PM containing your phone number?
@EricG , at last week's meeting, we were talking about forming a committee to determine how to pare down the .com website and use it solely , more or less, as a milestone to direct traffic to our clubhouse on IH8mud where visitors could get current info on meetings, trail rides, and events.
@Stokes , you want to make a recommendation to the BOD, and we get this started, and set a deadline for action?
By the way. The Meetup has been extremely productive. 14 total members so far and only 4 are folks who currently come to meetings. Thinking we should announce another meet and greet social here in the springs to bring these folks in to the dues-paying fold.
OK - so I just sat through the TLCA monthly business meeting. Not too much to report other than the fact that we were counted as a chapter in good standing. Woo Hoo!
Biggest takeaways from the meeting:
1. TLCA is nearing 3000 members. They expect to meet or exceed that goal in the next few weeks. I think we should do our part to bring back lapsed members or bring in some new folks. The meetup has been very successful.
2. 15 May is the next deadline for submissions to the Toyota Trails magazine (JUN/JUL issue). They will pay for photos. Around $50 for various shots for features like the cover, trail views, and trails end. Need high quality photos.
Next meeting should be 24 May at 7PM. Dial in is always the same 1-800-235-4500 Code = 7403237# I will cover it if no one else can.
@wpsfan - yes, trail rides absolutely can be added to the meetup. If I made you an "event organizer" you can add them yourself. It is very that the trail leader or the club's event organizer is the one who adds it. That way you can follow up with messaging to members and receive RSVPs.