Clicking when turning with CDL engaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
secretcompassonline.com
Hi All,

My 93 FZJ80 clicks from the front end while turning at (or close to) full lock with the CDL engaged. I read that this could be the birfs, and it was recommended to add grease through the port on top of the knuckle. I added about a half tube to each side and the sound did not change at all. I can't actually see how any of that grease would get into the birf but several folks mentioned it so I did it.

Could this be something other than the birfs? Without CDL engaged the front end is silent. Birfs are always spinning so why doesn't this happen without CDL engaged?

When I removed one of the ports I got a distinct gear oil smell so the inner axle seal must be on it's way out. Nothing is getting past the knuckle ball seals so hopefully it isn't too bad. None the less I am wondering if gear oil washed my grease out of that side and the click is that birf slowly dying.

I come from mini trucks so I'm used to not giving it hard at full steering lock with the front diff locked. (Mini birfs go boom in that scenario...) So I think I can baby this for a while, at least until I can afford RCV's and just rebuild the whole front end.

Thoughts? Am I asking for trouble if I keep wheeling as is?

Locking the CDL adds more stress/bind to the drive train, birf. Dry knuckle will make the birf click, and wear, a worn birf will click. To properly lube the birf, the moly grease level in the knuckle needs to be about 1/2 or a little better full. Some gear oil migration is normal, if the avle seal is significantly failed, you would know it, makes a big mess.

Locking the CDL and cranking the steering har DC on solid surface can make even good birds click. Not a good thing to do.

Locking the CDL adds more stress/bind to the drive train, birf. Dry knuckle will make the birf click, and wear, a worn birf will click. To properly lube the birf, the moly grease level in the knuckle needs to be about 1/2 or a little better full. Some gear oil migration is normal, if the avle seal is significantly failed, you would know it, makes a big mess.
Yeah when those seals would go on my mini trucks there was a big old mess and it was pretty obvious a greasy oily mix was getting past the knuckle ball seals.

Am I right in assuming pumping grease through the port on the top of the knuckle isn't going to do anything? I know it's a different truck but with my SFA mini trucks you really need to actually pack that grease into the birf, not just fill up the knuckle. Mini truck RCV's are drilled so you can grease them. Doesn't look like their 80 series are drilled though.

If the grease level is correct, the birf will be greased, adding through the plug works. It's not instant, needs some driving, but gets the job done. You can get drilled birf for the '80, but don't see the point.

Last edited:
If the grease level is correct, the birf will be greased, adding through the plug works. It's not instant, needs some driving, but gets the job done. You can get drilled birf for the '80, but don't see the point.
Okay, maybe I'll shoot a little more grease in there and see how it does. I did around 40 miles of driving before getting to the wheeling part where I could engage the CDL and noted the click was still there.

Anything drastic that can happen with a little too much grease in there?

I'll probably throw RCV's in it this winter when I rebuild the whole front end, and then I can be certain the grease level is correct. When birfs get ready to explode are there any more warning signs? Like they click when turning without the CDL engaged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom