Clear view mirrors on a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all!!
I am in the process of modifying and installing a pair of Clearview mirrors on my hj61.. the mirrors are off a single cab 76 /78 / 79 series cruiser that my Dad gave me due to selling the car after receiving a pair of mirror mounts due to a warranty claim for corrosion…
I have the old mounts and the new mounts to play with, so this costs me nothing apart from my time…
Why am I doing this????
1) I tow my boat a lot and need just a bit more width with the mirrors - but not a silly amount, which the Clearview mirrors are as standard - in my opinion…
2) they are free…
3) I enjoy doing silly things like this…
4) my drivers mirror is a non-genuine eBay special that shakes so much that it isn’t worth being attached….

So far, I have had a look on YouTube and studied how to take a Clearview mirror apart.. I have held it up against the car and seen that the top 2 mounting bolts / screws match up with the factory mirror mounting points, the shape of the mount is wrong - but not too bad that a cutting disc / grinder / flap disc can’t fix. The lower half or 3/4 of the door mount will be cut off…
I have taken a few photos this afternoon (attached) and think I will shape the top of the mount to suit the door shape, and cut the door mount off even with the top of indent in the door… I will then drill a couple of screws / bolts to go through the lower part of the mount and the door, with steel backing inside the outer door skin….

The Clearview mirrors stick out WAY too far for what I need, and for what I think looks good… I am intending on cutting them back as close to the door as I can (making them non - adjustable if needed) - they will still stick out at least 100mm (4 inches??) either side of what the factory mirrors currently do due to the mounts, but this is about right for what I need…

This post is for any suggestions / to see if anyone has done this and can help / to help others who may be contemplating doing this / for ideas for others!!!!
It will not suit purists, but my 1988 hj61 is Raptor coated, has cruise control and Apple Car Play, a centre console fridge, Corolla seats and 165hp/550Nm, with rusted out doors…. So I dont care for keeping it standard, or resale value…..
Thanks!
Drew

D962A860-2355-4EE3-8DB6-C5B4538DE9EE.jpeg

975D6F66-F592-445C-BB90-2B39A7B17134.jpeg

7E5DE632-89C6-442C-B9FE-439F2432E13C.jpeg

EB90D1A2-6C6E-4EE2-8014-563D2720357F.jpeg

94D0F33E-5BFF-4FF5-A155-2863CD30A9BF.jpeg

Sorted… I cut about 3/4 of the door bracket off and used a flap disc to change the angle of the bracket where it meets the door to square the mirrors up, and shortened the arms by 80mm so it doesn’t look too much like a Wing-Nut… they still have 30mm of extension. In their narrowest position they sit a full factory mirror width further out from the car. The bottom mirror (convex) section is great for filling in blind spots when driving!
IMG_3227.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom