Cleaned my cooling system: the full scoop... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can this same sort of cleaning be accomplished by draining the system, filling with distilled water, draining again and repeating this process 4 or 5 times until the water drains clear?

Can this same sort of cleaning be accomplished by draining the system, filling with distilled water, draining again and repeating this process 4 or 5 times until the water drains clear?
Good question! Makes sense if you circulated it too!

Good question! Makes sense if you circulated it too!
Yeah that's what my thought was. I guess you wouldn't get any benefit of running pressurize water through but....just thinking out loud here. Getting ready to clean my 80s system this weekend

I used a chemical cleaner and thermocure rust remover. You are going to use a lot of distilled water but it's cheap. Maybe 15-20 gallons or more over a week of driving till it runs clear.

I did this over a few days and until it drained clear (including engine block) and then did it once more before filling with Toyota Red.

Thanks for the feedback!

Where do you guys suggest buying Toyota Red? Dealer?

Does anyone have any feedback on the Prestone coolant that is specially formulated for Toyota? Will I be ok if I just commit to a specific type from here on out or is going with Toyota Red really that much better?

If the system is clean then you can just stick to any one coolant. I remember even the Mud bigwigs suggesting this.

Trust but verify.

You all may think I am crazy but Ok. I´m in Costa Rica. Have a little korean hyundai, it was running hot. My mechanic dumped the coolant and filled the system with Kerosine! and ran it for a couple days. Dumped the kerosine , flushed with water, filled with coolant, problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom