Classic Cruisers, Salida CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the FJ60 to Classic Cruisers in Salida CO. It had several mechanical problems which were corrected along with some much needed upgrades.

I am extremely impressed and happy with Brandon, Micah and the rest of the crew at Classic Cruisers. They live and breath vintage Cruisers and do excellent work at a fair price.

I highly recommend them.

Jim

Over the years I've always had good luck with Classic Cruisers. I haven't had them work on any of my Land Cruisers (yet), but they always seem to have the used parts I need to keep them running, and they definitely know their stuff. I stop by there every time I'm staying in Salida, or even just passing through. BTW, Micah is a recent addition. When I had my 3FE rebuilt at Empire Engines in Albuquerque last January, Micah was renting space from Bryan, one of the projects he had going was a diesel install in an 80-Series Land Cruiser for one of his customers. Very good, professional job.

Last edited:
Before moving back to south Florida from steamboat, classic cruisers rebuilt my transfer case rear main seal and transmission seal. No leaks and great honest people. The town of salida is one of my favorite memories living in co for the four years I was there.

I'm glad to read this. They are doing an engine conversion for me now.
When I was down at Empire Engines in Albuquerque a few months ago to pick up a crankshaft they had cleaned and machined for me, Bryan mentioned that he had just rebuilt a couple of 2Fs for Brandon at Classic Cruisers. I'm wondering if yours may be one of those engines. I was impressed with Bryan's rebuild of the 3FE for my '86 FJ60 project. The work on my crankshaft was excellent:

Polished-Crank-1.jpg

Last edited:
When I was down at Empire Engines in Albuquerque a few months ago to pick up a crankshaft they had cleaned and machined for me, Brian mentioned that he had just rebuilt a couple of 2Fs for Brandon at Classic Cruisers. I'm wondering if yours may be one of those engines. I was impressed with Brian's rebuild of the 3FE for my '86 FJ60 project. The work on my crankshaft was excellent:

View attachment 1383993

My 2F was actually solid but I got tired of the CA emissions and vacuum leaks. My conversion is a 12V Cummins from a '91 Dodge truck that was falling apart around a great engine.

Over the years I've always had good luck with Classic Cruisers. I haven't had them work on any of my Land Cruisers (yet), but they always seem to have the used parts I need to keep them running, and they definitely know their stuff. I stop by there every time I'm staying in Salida, or even just passing through. BTW, Micah is a recent addition. When I had my 3FE rebuilt at Empire Engines in Albuquerque last January, Micah was renting space from Brian, one of the projects he had going was a diesel install in an 80-Series Land Cruiser for one of his customers. Very good, professional job.

Oh interesting! That's where Micah went to. I was wondering about that. Micah bought my house in Corrales when I left in 2012.

Oh interesting! That's where Micah went to. I was wondering about that. Micah bought my house in Corrales when I left in 2012.
Small world. Last January Bryan took me back in the shop and showed me the Land Cruiser (FJ80 or FZJ80?) Micah was installing a diesel in, I believe he said the owner was from Placitas. Apparently Micah has done several similar Land Cruiser diesel conversions.

When I asked Cdan if he knew of any machine shops that could rebuild my 3FE, he mentioned Empire Engines, which is right across Alameda on the SE corner of San Pedro. That was really convenient when Bryan needed to order timing gears and a few other parts. I asked Brian to use OEM parts when he could, and Cdan knew exactly what to order.

BTW, where out west are you headed? Back this way?

Last edited:
Small world. Last January Brian took me back in the shop and showed me the Land Cruiser (FJ80 or FZJ80?) Micah was installing a diesel in, I believe he said the owner was from Placitas. Apparently Micah has done several similar Land Cruiser diesel conversions.

When I asked Cdan if he knew of any machine shops that could rebuild my 3FE, he mentioned Empire Engines, which is right across Alameda on the SE corner of San Pedro. That was really convenient when Brian needed to order timing gears and a few other parts. I asked Brian to use OEM parts when he could, and Cdan knew exactly what to order.

BTW, where out west are you headed? Back this way?

Yes, I've worked with Micah a number of times in the past when he owned the gas station in Corrales.

Of course @cruiserdan knew exactly what to order! ;)

I'm glad to read this. They are doing an engine conversion for me now.

When I picked up my 60, Micah was working on your vehicle. The 6BT was sitting there on a stand.

I was surprised to see a 60 with Missouri tags there. My vehicle is the same color. I bought it from a forum member in Missouri. He bought it from a forum member in Colorado. Now the 60 is back to its point of origin.

When I picked up my 60, Micah was working on your vehicle. The 6BT was sitting there on a stand.

I was surprised to see a 60 with Missouri tags there. My vehicle is the same color. I bought it from a forum member in Missouri. He bought it from a forum member in Colorado. Now the 60 is back to its point of origin.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know anything about Classic Cruisers before calling Brandon to see if they would be willing to do the conversion. Turns out Micah is passionate about the 6BT conversion and has done a few 80's but not a 60. After going back and forth a few times I decided to roll the dice and try it.

They were very informative on the phone and email but it was still great to hear your feedback. I'm hoping to drive it home sometime in February. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know anything about Classic Cruisers before calling Brandon to see if they would be willing to do the conversion. Turns out Micah is passionate about the 6BT conversion and has done a few 80's but not a 60. After going back and forth a few times I decided to roll the dice and try it.

They were very informative on the phone and email but it was still great to hear your feedback. I'm hoping to drive it home sometime in February. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Micah strikes me as a man who takes genuine pride in his work. He is a craftsman.

I'm located 60 miles east of Salida on US Hwy 50 at Canon City. Not sure how you will get to Salida but if you like we could link up when you pick up your rig. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Jim

Anyone know how to contact them? I've called several times, no answer. Left messages over the course of a few weeks, no return calls.

You might want to try email. I emailed them last week about some parts and got a reply the next day and then called and talked to Brandon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom