Churn Creek long weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Threads
303
Messages
3,812
Location
Vancouver, Canada
Please note: The Washington State trip has been cancelled. We are now going to Churn Creek, B.C. Check the "Washington Trip Victoria weekend" thread.
The following are now going to Churn Creek: Glenn B, Gary T, Bill W, Ronald V, John Voo, Barry P, Chris H, and maybes Garr C, Lance L, and Mike McT.
Rendevous point is Friday at 10:30 a.m. at Flying J Shell station on Lickman Road, just north of the Highway 1 freeway.
Family friendly, everybody welcome!
CB radio frequency Channel 4.
VHF frequency 146.46 MHz.

For more information contact Bill at 604 738 1048
 
Bill,

I will join the trip. See you at the Rendevouz Point.

Ruwi(tarsier)
 
Well my truck is sort of fixed. I have a Rancho and OME shocks up front - untill the Rancho arrives.
I will see you folks at the Lickman Road fuel up around 11:00am or before - subject to ferry and Hwy 10 traffic.

If any gassers in the crowd - please bring lots of extra fuel.
Who is bringing chainsaws?
 
I'm not heading up, but I would recommend that you all check your winches before leaving and make sure the cable is in good condition. There is a lot of snow in the slightly higher elevations and the hills around Churn will be slick.

Maybe chains may be in order for the slick mud hills? IRRC, there is one there that you guys do which would require chains if muddy.
 
Chains?! For the drive up, or for one of the daily excursions?

Looks like Monday may be ugly rain, if so will the consensus be to bugger off Sunday late or pack up in the wet? I need to know if I'm dealing with sissies or what. (and whether I should bring tarps...)
:)
 
Chains?! For the drive up, or for one of the daily excursions?

That area is really fine clayey dirt and when it's wet it can be pretty slippery. I HIGHLY doubt anyone is suggesting that you need chains to get to the campsite but, if it's wet, driving slowly and carefully is a good idea.

The road to the campsite is long and unpaved but it's nothing to be worried about. You can do it in 2 wheel drive if you have it.

Last year on the way back it was raining and my truck was completely caked with 5mm of rock hard clay by the time I got home and it had dried. Washing it off made a big mess of the communal driveway at the townhouse I was renting at the time. Strata b*tch was displeased.
 
It might rain Sunday or Monday, but I'm sticking through until Tuesday morning. Some might head home Monday morning, traffic may be OK.
It can get very windy down there, one year it damaged my tent, broke a flex pole. The Fraser River should be really humping down the canyon, keep kids well away from the riversides.
I'm still dealing with that sticky clay gumbo s*** mud stuck to my frame, even though I pressure washed the undecarriage when I got home. Even the neighbours were bitching about the horrible mess I left in the back alley, their dogs tracked it into their carpets. In this particular situation, I really do hate mud!:frown:
 
Chains?! For the drive up, or for one of the daily excursions?

There is one trail they have done in the past which apparently is like slick grease when wet and nothing but open bank all the way down. I doubt if they will try it if the conditions look to be too dangerous.
 
Windy Ridge, you can get to the bottom of the trail from Churn, when you get to the top you are around Mud Lake. I'd doubt this is doable right now, we only successfully did this once and it was a freakishly warm year with very little snow pack.
 
On Saturday we hit snow at 1300ft in the sun. I would think Windy ridge is still snowed in or at least parts of it. Last year we hit snow at the base of poison Mountain July long weekend and there was evidence of recently melted snow in Mud Lakes.

Its going to be a great trip, wish I could make it. I would not plan on doing Windy ridge though unless you got a lot of time.
 
I'm not heading up, but I would recommend that you all check your winches before leaving and make sure the cable is in good condition. There is a lot of snow in the slightly higher elevations and the hills around Churn will be slick.

First time in many years you are not going on the inaugural Coastal Cruiser May long weekend run - make sure get enough cruiser therapy or that city life will get to you...;).

yep - brand spanking new winch line.
 
Flying J gives 3% off for cash plus no transit taxes.
 
Back
Top Bottom