“Checking Data” error (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was gone out of country for a few weeks and when I came back, my 2016 LC would not start. Got the battery recharged and the LC runs fine but I keep getting this error on the screen. It would not go beyond “Checking Data” (see picture)

Also, when I filled up the tank, the pump stopped when it sensed full tank but my gauge shows about 75% full. Not sure if it relates to the problem above.

Help please :(

C1221326-FD0B-4E0C-A8C6-5FA19F4DDEEA.jpeg

Have you tried removing the SD card?

Were you parked inside or outside? I had a similar issue with the gas gauge and it was the old leaky roof/corroded connectors problem.

Id probably replace the battery

Were you parked inside or outside? I had a similar issue with the gas gauge and it was the old leaky roof/corroded connectors problem.
It was in the garage all the time. When you say connector, are you referring to the antenna at the back of the roof?

It was in the garage all the time. When you say connector, are you referring to the antenna at the back of the roof?
No, I was talking about the ones behind the kick panels on both sides of the car. I had a similar fuel gauge situation and a gps that wouldn’t load but if you are inside it’s probably not those plugs.

No, I was talking about the ones behind the kick panels on both sides of the car. I had a similar fuel gauge situation and a gps that wouldn’t load but if you are inside it’s probably not those plugs.
How did you resolve your issue?

The vehicle itself is locking/unlocking with fob, it starts and i even drove it for a few miles. The climate control also works.

It is just the fuel gauge showing 75% full and “checking data” error that i keep getting on the screen (Even while driving) and the inability of GPS to load

The factory battery was replaced today as it was not starting (even though I recharged it and it worked fine last week). So I thought maybe the battery might be issue. So now that I have a new battery in there, the error “Checking Data” or “Unable to read data” is still showing up and Navigation not loading. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did see some sellers selling “OEM” sd cards on Ebay and Amazon. Are these any good? The price difference is huge (think $50 vs $1000 that Toyota quoted for the SD card). Just curious

The factory battery was replaced today as it was not starting (even though I recharged it and it worked fine last week). So I thought maybe the battery might be issue. So now that I have a new battery in there, the error “Checking Data” or “Unable to read data” is still showing up and Navigation not loading. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did see some sellers selling “OEM” sd cards on Ebay and Amazon. Are these any good? The price difference is huge (think $50 vs $1000 that Toyota quoted for the SD card). Just curious
$50 and the ebay buyer guarantee would be enough for me to try that over a $1000 option. Honestly for $1000 you can get one of those full Tesla 16" Nav systems (which would probably be more enticing if you had a 2008-2011)

$50 and the ebay buyer guarantee would be enough for me to try that over a $1000 option. Honestly for $1000 you can get one of those full Tesla 16" Nav systems (which would probably be more enticing if you had a 2008-2011)
Yea almost all of them have return/replacement/exchange within 30 days so that’s why I am sort of leaning towards it. Thanks friend

Do not buy SD card online.
They will not work.

You can obtain from the dealer for sub $200.
Been there done that.
Sorry no link ATM.

Last edited:
Card number for reference.
Purchased from local dealership, less than 200.

20220723_101520.jpg

View attachment 3066671
Was it brand new when you purchased it? I also called Toyota and they quoted a little over $1000 for it. They gave me the item number and when i looked at different Toyota dealers online, the cheapest i saw was $700+ if I ordered online.

View attachment 3066671
The number on the SD card is showing up as $600-1000 but i did call a different toyota dealer and the advisor at this one quoted $210 and a week to get it in.

She said I can go all the way upto 21’ model without fluctuation in price. This is the reference number she gave for those who may want it:

86271-GN8LC-21 (21’ model)
86271-GN8LC-20 (20’ model)
86271-GN8LC-19 (19’ model)

....and so on

Question for you: Were you encountering similar error as mine when you replaced the SD card and did inserting the new one resolve it?

IT WORKED!!!

I disconnected both battery terminals and left them off for about a minute and connected them back on. When I started the vehicle, the map and everything else loaded (from old SD card) and navigation is back on

Glad I tried this before investing in anything else :D

Thanks to all who contributed and provided advice . Much appreciated

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting now that it’s fixed. Important to have follow up for the knowledge base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom