Checked out an HJ45 for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always kept a look out for old cruisers, actually went and had my first look at one today. It's a 1979 HJ45 with reconditioned H motor. Photos on the ad didn't look too bad. Got there and it was quite rusty in the chassis and around the cab mounts. Are the heavily rusted parts like the cab mounts repairable? Or most likely require a new cab?
Has a fibreglass roof, and matching original/factory tub.

Guards weren't too bad.

Bonnet had some bad rust up underneath at the front. Outside didn't look too bad.

Inner guard has some small holes rusted through.

Grille wasn't too bad.

Engine ran fine, has a small oil leak toward the back on left hand side. No leaks from transmission/bellhousing.

Underneath left side of cab.

Left hand cab mount.

Right side of cab wasn't as bad.

Driver's door.

Interior/dash was in pretty good nick. Unmolested with no added stereos or switches. Roof has an overhead console attached which could be ripped out easy enough.

Drivers floor pan, no rusted holes.

LHR spring mount, chassis was alright on the outside, inner not as good, had large flakes of rust break of easily by hand.

Thoughts/opinions?

Looks as the frame will need some cutting and welding in new sections or? Has hope, but what ever they are asking they should know its going to cost in time and labor, lots of time and laybor to put this old gal back on the road. If you can get it for a deal them drive in.
Good luck

Welcome to the forum mate
I would stay clear of this truck unless your a panel beater because it needs heaps of work and money invested to bring her back. Don't rush in something will come a long with a lot less work.

I agree with ozcruiser it would make a great parts truck, but if you are good with welding and metal ??

X2. Location Location Location. If you were in the US might be worth looking into since no pickups were imported after 67 and no diesels at all. That's not the case in Australia. Utes were one of the most imported model there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom