Check Engine Light Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know very little about 80's so please bare w/ me. The check engine light is on on this 80 I'm thinking about buying. The owner went and had the codes read and said it was one of these three things; oxygen sensor, misfire reported, and evap system. Should I be worried? Sorry this is all the info I know. I don't know the exact code number.

TIA-

If the engine light is still on, go and get the code pulled yourself. Any auto parts store (Shucks, Car Quest, etc) should be able to pull it.

Post the code, what truck you have, and any other details when you've done that. Or better yet, search and see what other people have posted on that code.

Nobody has had a code read these symptoms? Sorry I don't no the code and the vehicle is in another state.

TIA-

Nobody has had a code read these symptoms? Sorry I don't no the code and the vehicle is in another state.

TIA-

of course we have.

the O2 sensors are bad, you need an engine harness, a gas cap and a HG for good measure.

Except for the HG what I listed is the most likely culprits of what you stated for problems. But like everyone has said the exact code numbers will go a long way in taking some of the guess work out.

Last edited:
of course we have.

the O2 sensors are bad, you need an engine harness, a gas cap and a HG for good measure.

Serious, damn! So would recommend staying away from this rig?

Serious, damn! So would recommend staying away from this rig?

They're messin' with you, dude.

Your question's too vague and your info too incomplete for us to provide any useful help.

Call him and see if you can get the exact code(s).

Plus, you haven't even told us the year of the rig. OBD (On Board Diagnostic) systems and codes changed around 1995. To get your feet wet, a brief description of OBD1 (as opposed to OBD2) codes can be found here:

Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

Curtis

Thanks dude! I knew they were fxxxing w/ me. Sorry the info is so vague, I'm just going off what the guy told me, that plus knowing nothing about codes and s*** make me sound like an idiot.

I'll get the exact code from the guy and go from there. So genereal do the codes refer to one problem? Are the OBD1 codes in the link for '94 and newer rigs?

TIA-

So genereal do the codes refer to one problem?

It's not that simple. Some are pretty obvious, like an 02 sensor. Others, like say a misfire code, can take some sleuthing and troubleshooting to pin down the exact problem.

As for your other question: In general, OBD1 is up to 94, OBD2 is 95 and later. There are a few oddball rigs out there that are exceptions though.

Oh, and google will bring up lots of code lists; that's how I got the one I linked.

Curtis

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom