charcoal canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In Philly area. My charcoal canister has a stuck valve and is throwing CEL. I don't want to spend $600-$1k on a plastic box filled with charcoal, let alone $200-300 got a used one. Any way to fix existing canister of bypass it all and still pass emissions? Thanks in advance.

2012 FJ TT

IMG_4240.JPG

Hmmmm, I don't think pa has that but I'll check. I'm over 90k but not quite 100k yet.

The leading cause of charcoal canister failure is "topping off" your tank after the gas pump has clicked off. When you add that extra .4 gal it fills up the neck and leaks fuel into the canister that is designed to handle fumes (not fluid). I don't know if you do this (no accusations here), but thought it an appropriate PSA for all who read this.

The leading cause of charcoal canister failure is "topping off" your tank after the gas pump has clicked off. When you add that extra .4 gal it fills up the neck and leaks fuel into the canister that is designed to handle fumes (not fluid). I don't know if you do this (no accusations here), but thought it an appropriate PSA for all who read this.
That is a great reminder for everyone. I learned that 25 years ago from Click and Clack on NPR and now thought it was something everyone knows. Good reminder.

Yea, I never top off. Click and clack, haha. Those brothers were hilarious!

Have you found any remedies? My 11 Fj Cruiser just gave me a similar code (code p0441 for the evaporative emissions) and I'm loosing MPG's...

I'm hoping that it's just the gas cap!

Been fighting emissions codes on my Taco so have been doing some research. Insufficient purge flow means that after you start the engine the system tries to flow fresh air through the canister to move the stored gas vaoprs out of there and deliver them to the intake to be burned.

So the computer is sensing that there isn't enough air moving through the canister to achieve this. On the FJ I am not sure of the methodology used to determine this. So insufficient purge flow "could" be a plugged canister (pretty likely actually) or an incorrectly functioning purge valve, or a blocked purge line between the canister and intake, or possibly something else (ECU but not likely.) It's probably not the gas cap unfortunately.

I used to make carbon cans. The little bits of carbon in there tend to go on a jail break after a while and plug stuff up. Or as someone mentioned if the tank was overfilled too often liquid gas may have gotten in the canister which is not good. Hopefully it's the purge valve but do the proper homework and testing before shotgunning parts at it.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom