Chameleon V1 or V2 Antennas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Threads
410
Messages
9,159
Location
Abby
I saw in the Electronic Toys section that both Drew and Norm had the V1 antenna. I am looking for updates from them or others on this antenna and also if anyone has used its shorter cousin - the V2 antenna. Also, any recommendations on an antenna tuner to go with it which won't break the bank.

Chameleon, Burnaby Radio Communications Ltd.
 
That is a pretty nice antennae, I ran a dedicated 2m antennae for a couple of years, then broke down and bought a dual tuner antennae so I could work the 70cm band. I like Larson, they make a nice dual tune for around $100. Tuner not required, I have a spring on mine. Mine looks like this: NMO-2/70K [LAR-NMO270K] - $105.00 : Radioworld
What radio you running?
 
I haven't yet decided which radio. Was dreaming of a multiband one or perhaps just the Kenwood APRS radio. The APRS is kind of cool but I am not really sure if I need it or if I should do a ubrew APRS sometime down the road and just concentrate on buying a good d multiband or double band radio. I am still on a bit of a learning curve.
 
John - if you're just going for a dual band 2M/70cm rig all you want is a Larsen NMO 2/70 like Phil posted. They're excellent and will live through anything short of a commercial car wash (ask me how I know :D )

You'd only want something like the chameleon if you wanted to run HF in your Patrol. I'd way rather buck up for a good screwdriver antenna like Drew has than piddle around with a halfway measure like the chameleon.

I'm waiting for Drew's report on the Scorpion screwdriver, then I'm diving in.

Congrats on getting your ticket!
 
I will be following this too as I will be looking into my setup. I am prob further behind John in learning even though I passed my exam, I will have to go through the book again and surf the net to figure out everything.

Slowly but surely I'll haves set-up :)
 
Thanks for the feedback Norm. I was thinking the V1 or V2 because I am considering a multiband radio. I want the radio for more than trail use. And would love to play around on the HF bands, especially considering that the solar weather is getting a lot better for it.

I looked at the screw driver antennas. They are a fair bit more $$$. However, they do seem to be the way to go. I wondered how they would last long term through bush roads, BC weather and salted roads. I wish i would have paid more attention in my travels to the set-ups in the South. I am pretty sure they were all HF set-ups with massive coils on the bottom.
 
Back
Top Bottom