CB Antenna Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to add one more data point: I just got my CB set up, eBay Uniden 510 and a lil wil magnet antenna. On this weekend's run with ~15 vehicles, I was told I had the best or second best transmit of the entire group. This is meaningless since don't know what everyone else was running, but I think this would at least say that the 'lil wil' is a good quality, inexpensive antenna.

The roof top magnet that I zip-tied to the roof rack didn't budge and it hit lots of trees. I don't know the long term consequences with this kind of use, but for ~$35 and super easy install, I won't cry if it only lasts a couple of years.

I buddy just lent me his copy of "Now Your Talking". I want to go 2m.

Ross

Prolly not. Marine VHF is like IIRC the 160MHz band or so, you need a HF-capable SWR. Now if the meter goes down to 30MHz, then sure, I'm guessing however it doesn't?

Yes - I could always hear you Ross -

On all the trips so far the wilson has always had the best signal on any CB

I want to go 2m.

ME too! :D

GeoRoss said:
Just to add one more data point: I just got my CB set up, eBay Uniden 510 and a lil wil magnet antenna. On this weekend's run with ~15 vehicles, I was told I had the best or second best transmit of the entire group. This is meaningless since don't know what everyone else was running, but I think this would at least say that the 'lil wil' is a good quality, inexpensive antenna.

I want to go 2m.

Ross

Brentbba said:
Pretty much finally decided on the Uniden 520. Three times out now w/o any communication and I feel really uncomfortable about it.

Last debate in my mind - which style antenna. I've read, read and read all the posts about cb's and antennas. Down to either the Wilson Lil Wil, Wilson 1000 or a fiberglass mounted to the Kaymar tire carrier where their telescoping light would go.

Benefits of the mag mount - better reception on top of the roof; completely removable when not in use.

Benefit of fiberglass - permanently routed cable; can unscrew the pole when not in use.

Post up your pros and cons. Goal is to have cb and antenna in place by Thanksgiving for the SoCal get together at Anza.

YA make a decision yet? If you're thinking about the wilson 1k but want a permanent mout you could always go with the 2k trucker mount on the Kaymar.

http://66.240.181.174/store/media/t20003.jpg

Get the 5" shaft version and you'll be good to go. I have a good range of antennas that I use and have found that my Wilson 1k is my favorite antenna so far. I have an old K40 mag mount in the Taco with a tweaked Undien 568 that does real well for me also. My tweaked 520 and 102" whip in the 40 is acceptable but not my favorite rig. I plan on replacing the 520 with either a cobra 18 or a 29. My 60 has a hardmounted Wilson 1k on the roof with a barefoot stock Maxon Walmart special and it has the best audio of all my rigs. That antenna with a tweaked and boosted Galaxie 959 is what I will eventually have in the 60 and it will by far be my best rig.

Last edited:
Went with the Wilson 5000 mag mount with the short whip option and the Uniden 520 tuned. Thought Clay's website said the coax came with the antenna - it didn't, so have to purchase locally. Hope to install over Thanksgiving.

Spend the extra bucks and get some Belden 9913 coax. The quality is about as good as it gets for a flexible 50 ohm coax.

Horrible!

MrMoMo said:
Anybody know how well a Marine VHF SWR meter would work on CB?

The CB band is 11 meters in the 26 Megahertz region.

VHF or ham is 2 meters or 144 Megahertz.

So no your CB cannot be tuned by using a VHF meter. A crude way to tune is to monitor the current draw when tuning the antenna. The more current drawn the more power output.

Why you guys continue to spend money on CB is beyond me.
CB is embarrasing to listen to. Hetrodines from linears, static, overmodulation, yuk!

CB is like a Volkswagon with no muffler and worn rings. Very annoying.
FM is like a water cooled Porche at 65 MPH. Quiet and efficient.

I can talk farther and clearer and more reliably with my 2 meter 5 watt hand held than any legal CB. The test is easy.

Good luck

JB

BMAN said:
Spend the extra bucks and get some Belden 9913 coax. The quality is about as good as it gets for a flexible 50 ohm coax.

Thx for the recommendation - I'll see what I can find locally. Seems that length isn't an issue from the other Coax thread. I assume it probably comes in std lengths tho.

Any idea how much should be enough to run from mounting on dash to back of truck with enough to put on roof when used?

Brentbba said:
Went with the Wilson 5000 mag mount with the short whip option and the Uniden 520 tuned. Thought Clay's website said the coax came with the antenna - it didn't, so have to purchase locally. Hope to install over Thanksgiving.

Hey that's weird Brent, my Wilson 1000 mag mount has the cable built into the mag base. I've seen the bigger Wilson mag mounts and they looked the same... is there just a little hole on your mag mount for the cable??

FirstToy said:
Hey that's weird Brent, my Wilson 1000 mag mount has the cable built into the mag base. I've seen the bigger Wilson mag mounts and they looked the same... is there just a little hole on your mag mount for the cable??

Haven't opened yet, but box isn't big enough to have 18' of cable. Outside of going back to Clay's you know a local source? Clay's site says Beldon (their spelling) cable, but don't know if it's the 9913. Will probably email them and ask.

lol, open the box Brent! Mybe the cable is there.

FJ40_owner said:
The CB band is 11 meters in the 26 Megahertz region.

I can talk farther and clearer and more reliably with my 2 meter 5 watt hand held than any legal CB. The test is easy.

Good luck

JB

Actually a better, and directly applicable analogy would be between an old dial tune car radio on the am band (parked in a tunnel), and a car radio on the fm band with all digital menus.

FJ40_owner said:
Why you guys continue to spend money on CB is beyond me.
CB is embarrasing to listen to. Hetrodines from linears, static, overmodulation, yuk!

JB

Not much of a VW fan, is there a radio that sounds like a smooth FZJ80?:flipoff2:

Brentbba said:
Thx for the recommendation - I'll see what I can find locally. Seems that length isn't an issue from the other Coax thread. I assume it probably comes in std lengths tho.

Any idea how much should be enough to run from mounting on dash to back of truck with enough to put on roof when used?

Buy an 18footer then trim to desired length then solder on a new pl-259 end. Or use some string to measure out the length of coax you'll need along the path you want to route it, and buy the closest length that'll work for ya and leave it at the purchased length.

If you haven't already, buy and SWR meter and tune that antenna right away.

FJ40-owner:

Do a little searching around here in regards to the "reasons" many of us still run CB versus Ham and you'll understand. You may not agree with the reasoning but you'll understand, and that should answer your question as to why "WE" continue to spend money on our 11 meters.

And... a H2O Porsche at 65 is hardly efficient by any means. I'd actually venture to guess that an ACVW with no muffler and bad rings is still more "efficient" than your water pumper.

Last edited:
Tools R Us said:
Not much of a VW fan, is there a radio that sounds like a smooth FZJ80?:flipoff2:

Is there a "smooth" FZJ80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom