Catalytic Converter woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks all! I should have been more specific. both front and rear catalytic. Yes I checked both OE/OEM including Kansas City Cats (good price) who said their not selling to me since Im in Calif. I guess their not OBD II certified for california the Gents said he can sell to all 49 States except CALIFORNIA, same with others I found on the web. a few hours ago I was talking to local mufflers shops who only guarantee work for 1year but not smog test which I am worried about, with my current cats I passed smog test (marginally now looking at the smogtest readings) what about a year or two from now when its due for another test?

One of the muffler shop took readings and inspected to confirm cats are going bad. (wishful thinking) is there a way to clean it or unclogged it(stupid question)
The way It looks here in SOCAL only a couple of $$ difference between dealer and muffler shop or maybe I'm just not looking at the right place. Anyone knows or a more reasonable source in SOCAL or somewhere else.

Sorry tiorio cats issue on this one caught my eye.

I'd think that based on your other issues like lack of power, etc. you'd want to look elsewhere in your rig for the problem before just buying cats for the heck of it. If it doesn't pass smog next time, buy 'em then. You said the rig wasn't running full power and then you heard a bang and hiss and found the leak but the big question is this: is the truck running any better now?

I can't believe the rear cat was so clogged it blew the gasket out but even if it was, you have other problems if your rear CAT is THAT clogged.

The problem described, with the power dropping off and unable to maintain speed sounds exactly like what would happend with a clogged exhaust system. When the cats fail and clog, the engine can not breath out, meaning it can't breath in, and the power goes down the toilet.

What you do want to do is determine if there is another problem that caused the cats to fail. One possibility is that you have had a persistent misfire that is letting unburned fuel reach the cats. This will overheat the cats and cause failure. Could also have stuck injector(s) that would also result in unburnt fuel reaching the cats.

The failure, and the warping, do sound like the results of overheated and clogged cats. Also check the exhuast system downstream for any blockage.

One cheap test for clogged cats is is drill a small hole in the exhuast before the cats and test with a cheap pressure gauge meant for this purpose the exhaust pressure at a specified rpm. You still need to check for blockage down the line.

Rich said:
The problem described, with the power dropping off and unable to maintain speed sounds exactly like what would happend with a clogged exhaust system. When the cats fail and clog, the engine can not breath out, meaning it can't breath in, and the power goes down the toilet.

I totally agree but I can't see it happening this fast. Unless the CAT superheated and melted the honeycomb all at once the clogging would be happening over a period of time, not the kind of sudden loss of power described...

At least, that's what I would think :confused:

Happened to me in a full size truck. Towing a 24 ft boat cross country. Over period of 1 hour began losing power. Ended up going max 20 mph, with throttle to floor, pulling into Burlington Colorado. Being stuck in Burlington Colorado was not fun. Replacing converter was the cure.

Rich said:
Happened to me in a full size truck. Towing a 24 ft boat cross country. Over period of 1 hour began losing power. Ended up going max 20 mph, with throttle to floor, pulling into Burlington Colorado. Being stuck in Burlington Colorado was not fun. Replacing converter was the cure.

Well there you go! I would've thought it wouldn't clog so quickly...unless of course it starts to melt the honeycomb or something...

I stand corrected :doh:

If you are still in need of some cats i have a complete exaust from the header pipe to the tail pipe from a 1993 if that can help you even have the oxygen sensors on the cats. PM me if you are interested The cost will be well below what you are looking for and they are all factory

Mike Nie
270-528-8939 central Kentucky

CATs are expensive because the catlyst is Platinum. And, some dealers like to rip us off. :mad:

i can vouch for the fact kcc rebuilt cats worked on my 93. We have as strict and in some instances stricter emissions testing in BC than california including a 3 minute plus 4 wheel dyno test at up to 60 mph.

several hypothetical unrelated observations :rolleyes:

I believe there is no way anyone could tell you did not have a factory original cat if you had a kcc cat installed. the replacement cat is a factory cat cutat the seam and rewelded with the precious metal load replaced. there is a small plate welded onto it with a pn# but C-Dan himself was not compoletely sure whether that was factory when I posted a photo of my replacement cats. This plate is also easily removed.

Another iobservation s that you can install cats this yourself. All you need is replacement hardware and gaskets and some patience.

Another observation is that I have found many people in california have friends and relatives in other states. many of these people have postal addresses.

FYI
If any of you guy's rigs is under 80K and your cat has failed - the dealer is bound by federal law to replace it with OEM parts - FREE of charge. The CEL came on in my 96LX at 76K, the cat turned out to be the problem and a few days later I had a brand spanking new upper cat. I had no idea I was spared 2K in repair costs - wow.

My 2c I just imported a 93 fj80 and it failed the big test ... I went to my local parts store and got 2 hi flow 2.5" cats and got my local. /// muffler shop to put them in by cutting the ends off the old ons and welding the flanges on the new cats and reinstalling them .... it cost 140.00 for the cats and 80.00 for the install... And past ,,..../// My 2c

semlin said:
i can vouch for the fact kcc rebuilt cats worked on my 93. We have as strict and in some instances stricter emissions testing in BC than california including a 3 minute plus 4 wheel dyno test at up to 60 mph.

We have the variable-load rolling dyno as well, but not for AWD vehicles, they tested it on a dyno?

Just curious, that's all :cheers:

yup we have a 4 wheel dyno test in Vancouver. The drive test is so rigorous some vehicless fail because they cannot match the required acceleration curve!

semlin said:
yup we have a 4 wheel dyno test in Vancouver. The drive test is so rigorous some vehicless fail because they cannot match the required acceleration curve!

Wow. Talk about dedication to keeping a beautiful city beautiful...

What are the laws regarding modification to vehicles like, especially as it pertains to exhaust systems and such? Sorry if I'm hijaking the thread...

Not sure if this is " What a feeling Toy***!" really means :)

Thanks to all the great response as I continue to find the best bang for the buck as far as cat replacement. KCC sounds very good including their high flow if it does help for efficiency/more power, but they wont sell to me (Calif resident ) Im almost tempted to ask someone out of state to order it for me ;) spending almost 2k is ok if more than one year warranty comes with it,and it cost the same elsewhere, but it really hurts knowing that the cats sold elsewhere for almost 1/3 of what I would pay for works the same except that it is not CARB certified. For now the rig sits around while I look at possible cause of it's failure.maybe I'll do complete tune up, PHH though it does not leak, and look for the small leak in front of engine somewhere near oil pump front above the oil pan arch, EGR and the rest of the emmission system checked while it's parked, dont know if I really needed it cause it was just smogged recently and it passed. Local mechanic is no help even after plugging it in his computer supposedly for diagnostics I wonder if dealearship is any better. ( anyone with info on competent shop in Socal, San Diego area in particular is also greatly appreciated)

I'm sure that there's a lot of TLC owners that lives here in Calif. :mad: who will possibly face the same problem if not sooner maybe later that is why I'm now more motivated to find sound , economical and legal ;) solutions for my benefit and for others who might be interested. Before I forget tiorio, your post on CA emission is very good exactly what I am experiencing as you've describe. one of the problem in my opinion is that cat manufacturer will not go through the expense of geting their cat certified just for California when they can sell to all 49 states, not economical for them and Ca OBD II law limits us for now to very expensive replacement which is unfair and not right for the consumers :crybaby: . BTW, are you in Calif too?
This forum has contributed a lot of creative ideas as far as my cats problem. Please keep sharing youre experience, ideas, comments and sources of parts and info, again thanks enjoy your rigs and be safe.

FT4WD80S
'96FZJ80

I know Ginericfj80 mentioned previously that he wasn't using stock cats on his old fj80. He installed a two inlet to one outlet cat on his (from/for a big Dodge truck). . . would there be any problems with this? I can't see why there would be especially if the cat was designed for a larger output engine. . . It would also seem to save quite a bit of space and money.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
FT4WD80S said:
Before I forget tiorio, your post on CA emission is very good exactly what I am experiencing as you've describe. one of the problem in my opinion is that cat manufacturer will not go through the expense of geting their cat certified just for California when they can sell to all 49 states, not economical for them and Ca OBD II law limits us for now to very expensive replacement which is unfair and not right for the consumers :crybaby: . BTW, are you in Calif too?
FT4WD80S
'96FZJ80

Yep, I'm in LA. California doesn't care about those of us who choose not to buy a new car every 2 years. Take the repeal of the 30 year rolling exemption by the governator for example.

I went to a smog place two days ago here. The guy didn't even look under the truck once. Couldn't get the inductive pickup to read correct RPM so I jumped in a held it while the guy tried to keep the throttle in some sort of decent range. It only took like 20 minutes to get a 30 second read. This right after he had a nice 92 Ferarri 512 TR on the dyno and tried to back it off without dropping the rollers. This resulted in the F-car tracking sideways into the dyno. Really nice. The guy in front of me jumped in his car and took off, didn't want the risk I guess...

Anyway...there is no 100% legal solution aside from ordering it from your dealer. True for all OBD II cars, not just Toyotas. And factory CATs are universally expensive. I figure the most legal is to order out-of-state from KCC.

I also think you're right about companies not wanting to certify for CA after they have the other 49 states. Smart for them but once again, bad for us.

Sorry I don't have better news. 100% legal isn't really an option. I guess you're supposed to junk the rig. Isn't it ironic that all these laws designed to protect the environment end up making us waste whole automobiles WAY before the end of their servicable life? Isn't it even MORE ironic that with aftermarket parts, we could make these older rigs EVEN CLEANER than they came from the factory but the beuracracy won't allow it?

:flipoff2:

tiorio said:
Wow. Talk about dedication to keeping a beautiful city beautiful...

What are the laws regarding modification to vehicles like, especially as it pertains to exhaust systems and such? Sorry if I'm hijaking the thread...

thanks for the complement. Vancouver is a great city.

as far as mods o the proof is in the pudding. You have to pass the dyno test for your vehicle. That is not easy with the standards they impose. Search my name on emissions testing to see how hard it can be.

AFAIK there are no restrictions on mods and you can fit any catylitic converter you like. Just the basic rules requiring a muffler and a tailipipe behind the rear wheels (not even 100% sure about the latter) and no excessive smoke. They don't look under the hood or under the vehicle as long as a tailpipe sticks out the back. They also don't seem to check OBD2 systems for stored codes (at least my wife said they didn't on our forester).

That's AWESOME and the Way It Should Be as far as I'm concerned. Who cares what you do to the rig as long as it freakin passes the test. Clever Canadians (at least the left-coasters).

Sure, it makes it harder to pass with certain mods but if the goal is reduction or control of emissions, those mods SHOULDN'T be allowed. It's the simple end to a simple goal, whereas our bloated CA Air Resources Board is a political machine with political intentions. Reducing emissions is simply the platform, not necessarily the goal.

Sort-of-weirdly-envious,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom