caster bushings (1 Viewer)

does anyone have a secret to install the ome caster bushings and get them lined up correctly the first time. I can get the front with the correct alignment but the rear seems to be off about a 1/16, just enough to not allow the bolt to be installed. My thoughts were to weld to bolts to a flat piece of steel, at the spacing required and use it as a guide.

ranma21

Supporting Vendor

You can use the landtank template to mark the line on the control arm so you use that as a guide to press the bushing in.

i installed the slee caster bushings using the old arm as for the bolt spacing. i used a piece of 5/8" all-thread in the old bushings abd locked it in place with a nut on each side. then placed the empty arm on top and was able to align and start the bushings using another nut on top of the new bushing and a dead blow tapping around the edge. this seated itt well enough to have it stay wile setting uo to ptess it in.

A while ago someone used straight copper plumbing pipe and made a u shaped jig with 2 right angles at the correct distance. I believe half inch pipe will fit in the bolt holes (maybe 3/4; memory doesn't work so good). A person could use PVC pipe also if you can't solder copper.

i installed the slee caster bushings using the old arm as for the bolt spacing. i used a piece of 5/8" all-thread in the old bushings abd locked it in place with a nut on each side. then placed the empty arm on top and was able to align and start the bushings using another nut on top of the new bushing and a dead blow tapping around the edge. this seated itt well enough to have it stay wile setting uo to ptess it in.
X2, I have always used the other arm as a jig, any 5/8" rod works, even wood dowel. I push the bushings out of one arm, install the first bushing at the angle that you want, put the arm over the other and put a rod through the bushings to line them up, put a rod in the second old bushing, slide the other new bushing over that rod, line it up, then tap it in place with a hammer just enough to keep it from moving, press it home.

I have done this many times with great results, never had to fight getting the bolts in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom