Carb Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
P1130001.JPG

Anyone know how to fix leak?
P1130001.JPG

I have one on back order for almost 2 weeks... local dealer claims retail value of $120.00 :eek:

Last I heard, list was ~$128. :eek:

Since the valve is junk, you might try breaking the cast arm off, then extracting the valve guts from the body.
The resulting hole can be tapped w/ an 8x1.25mm tap.
A stubby bolt can be threaded into the top w/ some JBweld on the threads as sealant.

Even if you have to buy a bolt, tap and JB weld, total cost is still less than $20. And it will never leak again.

that "valve" is expensive.....at least in my opinion. I had the same problem. That valve costs me something like $124.00. Its easy to replace and I believe its a Toyota only item. I would give Dan @ American Toyota a call.

I had to replace one of the bolts that attaches the valve to the carb.

Wow! I never bought a new one. I bought two carbs off eBay for less than $128, and one of them had a non-leaking valve. I guess I got lucky. ;)

$128!!?!?! I bought an overhauled replacement carb for something like Aus $470 fully fitted! I had have to check my bills for the exact cost but i know i had decent change from $500 cash as we went out for a meal with the leftover as it came from the house account.

I don't know what that would be with current exchange rate in US dollars, but pretty sure it would be in your favour. If any of you want me to buy you a couple of full carbs and get them shipped over just let me know.:eek: $128 <phew>...

~PHIL

Again thanks for the info, I took the valve off and applied some JB Weld on the inside, very little much less than $128.00 and all is well.

What does that valve do? I probably have one on my FJ60 and I would plug it if it looks leaky. I'd like to know what I'd have done.

x2

I'm curious as well....mine leaks, and has for a while. So, yeah...what's it do anyway?

hmm, mine's leaking there too. Maybe it's like all the other odds and ends under the hood of my sixty, and it is supposed to leak. I would like to know, these carbs seem to have a lot more to them than the few American made carbs I've played with.

It's callled a slow cut valve and only on US carbs.

It cuts off fuel at idle from the 2nd slow jet circuit. Cross section looks like a spring and needle valve deal. I'd like to know under what load conditions or rpm range it does open. If disabled, isn't the 2nd slow jet circuit also disabled?

It's callled a slow cut valve and only on US carbs.
It cuts off fuel at idle from the 2nd slow jet circuit. Cross section looks like a spring and needle valve deal.
Yup, that is correct.

I'd like to know under what load conditions or rpm range it does open.
It is linkage actuated. as the primary throttle goes past 50% open, the linkage starts to contact the lever and open the plunger.

If disabled, isn't the 2nd slow jet circuit also disabled?
Yes. That's why it is necessary to extract the guts of the valve, then seal the hole where the plunger was located. If modified correctly, the secondary slow circuit is left open all the time, like any normal carb.

Jim, I wish I knew what you do.

If disabled, isn't the 2nd slow jet circuit also disabled?

Yes. That's why it is necessary to extract the guts of the valve, then seal the hole where the plunger was located. If modified correctly, the secondary slow circuit is left open all the time, like any normal carb.
:cool:

Jim, with the secondary slow circuit now open all the time, under what conditions does it feed fuel. Would you be rich at idle and slow speeds and could it possibly affect emissions?

It will only draw fuel when the secondary idle port is uncovered. If the secondary is completely closed, as it is most of the time, the port is covered and can't flow fuel.

The valve was added in '81. My conjecture is that they were concerned about the secondary dragging and not shutting completely, then continuing to dribble fuel when the engine was running. Would be a problem for tailpipe emissions, and would cook the cat.

i am getting ready to do this mod. but there is some unaswered ??? will it continue to drip fuel, and cause an emissions failure and or smoke the cat.

It will not drip fuel externally, if it modded correctly.

The internal fuel drip can only happen iff the secondary butterfly doesn't close completely. If that is the case, then the carb is due for cleaning & rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom