Can I reduce tire size to accommodate 19" factory rims on a new GX460? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just picked up a new GX 460 and it has 19" factory rims. The tire size is 265/55 R19
We live in central virginia and go up in the mountains alot, there is snow and plenty of un paved roads to explore. I prefer a good all terrain tire but it is nearly impossible to find a 265 R19 all terrain.

Today I began wondering if I could downsize to a 255 from a 265.
Would the smaller tire seat ok in my rim?
Its not that big of a difference but I guess this is a pretty un common thing, it seems like most people want bigger tires but thats not an option with my rim.
If I step down to a 255/55 R19 or a 255/60 R19, my options are wide open for all terrains.
Thoughts?

you can - that width will seat no problem on a 7.5" wheel...but it would make more sense to try to swap into 18"s - LOTS more tire sizes...

Also be aware that your speedometer will will read you going faster than your actual speed, which in turn will stack more miles on the odometer over a period of time. For the tire size change, I'm sure it really won't be that big of a deal.
Going up 1 metric size to a 275/55R19 are the Bridgestone Blizzak's:
They look pretty aggressive and are great for winter!
Another option of course, albeit more expensive, is to swap out your wheels also.
For myself, I had the factory 18" wheels. After careful research I found that going to a 17" wheel and tire in the long run of changing tires would be cheaper than just purchasing 18" tires. The tires I like are usually M/T's and for an 18" wheel they start to get quite pricey especially purchasing 5 of them to include the spare.

Last edited:
Definitely some things to consider here. I run toyo at3’s on my mdx and they have done great after 20k miles. I used a calculator to determine the mph shift on 255/55 and 255/60, 60 is almost no change. Im looking at either falken at or another set of toyos. Should be a good year round daily driver with occasional weekend excursions. We probably wont push this new gx too hard but I definitely want to avoid ever getting stuck. In the future Im thinking my mdx will get swapped with a used gx, on that I will definitely look into smaller rims and getting the perfect tire. Thanks!

4runner stock size is 265/70R17
It would be slightly taller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom