Camp Chef Two Burner Range & Stove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POTATO LAUNCHER

TLCA #6928
Threads
Does any one have experience with either of these Camp Chef Stoves? I am looking to up grade cooking options without breaking the bank. With the the droughts we are experiencing in West Texas and surrounding states burn bans put a large damper on cooking with the campfire . I really don't want to take a fullsize propane grill very far off the beaten path and charcoal falls in the open flame ban. Any opinions or options are appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Casey

Outdoor Camp Oven 2 Burner Range and Stove - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors

Outdoor Camp Oven with Grill - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors
camp chef 1.jpg
camp chef 2.jpg

Somebody post them up about once every couple of months or so. So far I don't think anybody has bought one and done a review.

Not a full review, but I'm happy with mine. Cost is reasonable from a number of vendors. The top burners work well and adjust finely. The BTU output isn't as great as a Coleman white gas stove, but as far as I can tell it's sufficient. Burner top area is somewhat more limited than a Coleman, so if you use really large pans you may need to adjust. There is a model with a built-in grille (your second pic looks like it), but we decided to go with two burners and use a frying pan for now. We may get a separate griddle later and the size of the top is just right for a common size rectangular griddle.

The oven seems a little tricky at first, but once you figure it out is pretty simple. There's no thermostat, but it does adjust. To maintain lower temps (say 375 or below), you have to crack the oven door open. It actually has a bit of a catch built into the hinges to allow this, then you adjust the heat to get what you need. The manual isn't entirely clear on this, but it works well after you've practiced a little to set a steady heat. There is an oven thermometer, so you can set and monitor the temp easily. I'm actually making it sound more difficult than it is. Space in the oven is big enough to take most standard pans that are on the small side. The top pic is the newer version, which I have, with a built-in oven thermometer, while the lower pic is the older model with the separate thermometer (and probably no longer available?)

We haven't taken ours to the field yet. 2011 was a bust for camping for us. However, I've practiced with it on the patio and anticipate no issues. Makes great biscuits and sticky rolls. I would recommend the travel bag if it's going to bounce around with other gear, like it will in our M101. I tucked a sheet of thin foam in front of the oven door when it's in the bag for a little extra trail protection.

We have a nice solid table that it can sit on. Weight is not real heavy as I recall, but you wouldn't want to sit it on an unstable table anyway. So plan for that, although if your back is good cooking right on the ground should work as long as you clear combustibles away. I like the way it sits tall on the table, because I'm over 6'. If shorter people will use it, then you may want to consider a lower table for ease of use. Conversely, when it's sitting higher, it keeps handles out of kids' reach better.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Mike. I've been on the fence on this stove combo. I have been using the Coleman grill combo stove for years but though this would be a nice addition to the camping kit.I just don't want to waste my hard earned $$$ anymore than usual.

Here's a few reasons why we made the switch.

First, we carry propane for heat and heating water now. So the tank is coming along anyway. All this is due to the trailer, which means there's more space to haul stuff. It's kind of snowballs...:p

I have a Coleman folding oven. It's OK, but pretty marginal in terms of utility. It doesn't do anything well, most things half-@ss, and some thing not at all. The Camp Chef is an excellent step up. Not quite home, but hey, we're camping, right?;)

White gas is getting iffy to find and expensive. Propane is cheap, available everywhere these days, and 20 lbs goes a long way. I'm planning on getting a larger, see-thru tank, but good ol' steel works for now.

We'll still have a single-burner backpack Coleman for backup and hikes, but otherwise the Coleman is parked. I also like my Coleman lantern --nothing beats it for intense, white light -- and will continue to carry it, too, although we use a lot of LED lighting these days.

That would be a perfect addition to what I already have. Thanks for the link.

There are some good to excellent portable propane grills out there. If cost isn't an issue, look at the ones used for boat use. Jut get one that has an available leg set. I have an Olympian 4100 which was built for RVers so it packs reasonably small. On a windy day it needs a wind shield under it to keep to much air from blowing in the vents. On still air days it is fine. A few years back they switched makers and the build quality isn't there any more. I'm told the metal legs and other chromed bits now are prone to rusting. I let mine sit on the ground between uses here at the farm. No rust yet so I must have the original. I wouldn't try to grill for more than 4 people on it. I use mine with a 20lbs tank and adapter hose. I also have a port off my home heating propane supply line.

We have this set up and it works great. The top burners could use a few more btu's, but overall it works well. It is now an invaluable part of our kit. Nothing like hot bisquits to go with breakfast.

Thanks for the reply on the stove/ oven combo. I normally do biscuits and coblers in the Dutch oven but no open fire, no goodies. Pancakes are good but nothing quite beats the smell and taste of biscuits and gravy, some thick cut bacon and coffee in the perculator over an open fire. I think this will be my next best option.

Hmmm. Not that I'm this far into camping yet (I still use my little Coleman 3 burner with a griddle on it) but the idea of having an oven does appeal to me since there are times that the dutch oven can't be used. I'm wondering if you could mount this thing on top of a drawer system like you can the ARB refrigerator? Maybe put in on a slide opposite the fridge so you could slide it out to cook in/on it and then slide it back in when you are done?

I don't see why not. Main thing would be to have all the clearances needed around it when in operation. I saw photos of a kitchen slide out in an overlander's vehicle that had a regular propane RV stove/oven combo in it.

The idea of a slide-out stove sounds good, but I don't think this is the model to do it with. In its bag, back in the trailer, you'll never hear it rattle. Sitting on top of the drawer system in the back of the truck, I suspect it'll drive you nuts just driving around town, let alone on the trail.

Mmmm, doesn't keep it from cooking good stuff, though.

zornff is right that the top burners are down somewhat on heat, but I think the comparison holds up more when you've just made the change from a Coleman. I've not found it inadequate, but I haven't had it at altitude (10k) where I camp sometimes in Colorado, either. In fact, under most conditions, it's probably a more controllable heat for cooking.

The idea of a slide-out stove sounds good, but I don't think this is the model to do it with. In its bag, back in the trailer, you'll never hear it rattle. Sitting on top of the drawer system in the back of the truck, I suspect it'll drive you nuts just driving around town, let alone on the trail.

Mmmm, doesn't keep it from cooking good stuff, though.

zornff is right that the top burners are down somewhat on heat, but I think the comparison holds up more when you've just made the change from a Coleman. I've not found it inadequate, but I haven't had it at altitude (10k) where I camp sometimes in Colorado, either. In fact, under most conditions, it's probably a more controllable heat for cooking.
Why? The racks? I solved that problem for my BBQ by removing the rack and storing it in a grocery bag in transit.

Oven racks. Top burner grilles. Top grille cover. Oven door.

By the time you deal with all that, it's just easier to slip it in the bag.

It's not built to be rattle free in an RV is all I'm saying.

Oven racks. Top burner grilles. Top grille cover. Oven door.

By the time you deal with all that, it's just easier to slip it in the bag.

It's not built to be rattle free in an RV is all I'm saying.
That is an important point, a small rattle will drive you nuts after a few hundred miles. So factoring the cost of the transit bag into the price of the unit is a must in your opinion?

Dan,
If you're planning on carrying it inside the truck where you can hear it, I suspect yes. I haven't actually tried that. On highway would probably be OK with sleeping bags, etc, but on the trail will likely be an irritation. There's just quite a few spots where things can potentially rub, clank, rattle or squeak.

I bought the bag myself because it's going to be packed in the trailer tightly with everything else, so I was looking to protect the finish and glass in the oven door. There's enough room in the bag that you can slip in a piece of foam to take extra care of the oven door glass.

Looking around on the 'net, I saw a wide variation in price on the bag, so if it sounds too pricey at first, keep looking. It may be worthwhile to see if it isn't as noisy as I suspect before ordering the bag. After all, in an emergency, it'll stuff in a sleeping bag if it's too obnoxious:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom