Cam Gear Time Bomb! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
Even if you've got a low mileage excellent early F this can, and probably will, happen to you! :mad: I've had a couple go, this one is Fox's ( so I lied, there are pics). Symptoms.....................you're driving down the road happy as a clam.............and then poof, engine is dead. :eek:

When you check it out there's no sparky, because the cam isn't turning the dizzy.

This looks a lot scarier than it is, yes the F is an interferance engine:
1.jpg

OK, first thing to do is to see if there was any damage to valves or pistons. Kinda tough to do a compression test with no valve action. :confused:

What I do is pull the valvetrain and check all the pushrods. In this case, the intake for #4 was obviously bent, the intake for #1 just slightly. Check the pushrods by rolling them across a flat surface.

Then put an airchuck in the sparkplug hole (see pic) and bring the suspect cylinder up to TDC. Hit it with air, if it kicks over the motor and you don't hear or feel any air rushing out, you're "probably" good.

Messy!
2.jpg

More Carnage!!! :eek:
3.jpg

Nuts, now I know why Toyota changed this design. The timing plate is the motor mount. :rolleyes: This was the biggest pain, jacking up the motor and removing the motor mounts (which, by the way, are toast, Fox).
35.jpg
4.jpg

Nice. :D Steel gears, part numbers are in the part # thread. Wish I had these in my motor. :doh:
5.jpg

No Krylon or Rustoleum here. :flipoff2: Note the panhead slotted screws used on the timing cover of the early motors. (Mike, that brake line belongs in front of the radiator and should be clipped to the radiator frame horns.)
6.jpg

Just like old times :grinpimp: now get it outta here! :D
7.jpg

Or, theres no fuel because the cam lobe isnt pumping the fuel pump.

Thanks to Jim for the stellar work. She runs like a 25 again!! The clutch issue resolved itself at 55 MPH on Rte 9. I guess it just needed a little heat! Works great now. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
That's a relief! Now keep it well fed, and give it lots of exercise. :D

foxfab said:
She runs like a 25 again!! The clutch issue resolved itself at 55 MPH on Rte 9. I guess it just needed a little heat! Works great now.

Nice try! You trailered it home, right?;p

FJnotCJ said:
Nice try! You trailered it home, right?;p

I offered. ;) Grind, lugga-lugga-lug, grind......:crybaby: Off he went.......:D

Ok, so I gotta ask: For how long did Toyota use that design? Or Does my '66 FJ45 have that stuff (like the fiber cam gear)? If so I'm swapping it out now before it leaves me sit on the side of the road...

Mike, glad to see it's fixed and rolling again. Did that headlight find you in one piece? You need to change yer avitar if so. :D

Nick

Nick, no presents for me? :frown: I think the '66 is the same, looked for Mark A's post on the same thing but can't find it.

My 68 FJ40 is probably around a 9/67 production date, first registered in 11/67. It has both steels gears. The push rods on the F145 are alot heavier than the earlier F engines I've seen, probably wouldn't get off as easy on repairs if it had the fiber gear. I guess if you want to beef up the engine with heavier push rods it's a good idea to make sure you have steel gears.:rolleyes: :

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom