caliper piston dust boot frustration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After fiddling with this thing for the last two hours...I'm giving up until some advice. I got this kit from SOR to rebuild the caliper piston gasket and dust boot and everything went swimmingly until the dust boot. I can't tell if this design is just bs....I'm doing something wrong.... or the aftermarket boot is just a crock of crap. Basically the ring that is supposed to hold the boot to the caliper flange just will not hold it....the boot slips off on first brake activation. By my instinct there should be a groove in the caliper flange (not the piston) and the ring should set the boot within a groove. The boot design though also has a rubber bit on the rim that also impedes it from getting a deep attach. I've attached it now three different times and reactivating with the brake pads just pulls it off. Here are a couple of pics... Advice appreciated.

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

Disc brake pistons don't have much travel normally. Are you testing them "as installed" with the rotor and pads in place or are you testing them in an open caliper?

Disc brake pistons don't have much travel normally. Are you testing them "as installed" with the rotor and pads in place or are you testing them in an open caliper?
testing them with brake pad installed and over an equivalent width spacer in place of rotor....I don't believe its that. The dust boot and ring has such a weak connection that
it'll basically pop off with the barest travel. i'm at a loss.

Unless your soacer is perfectly centered as the rotor would be, the pistons are extending at different lengths. Your picture shows the back rift one almost completely popped out.

Ok....I have an opinion and a piece of evidence.

1. I tend to think this is a bad design since there is poor physical attachment of the boot due
to very narrow lip and no groove.

2. Even though you should coat the piston and inside gasket with grease....be sure and have
the lip and dust boot bone dry. I think the fact that I used syl-glide .... which is recommended
for the piston insertion... and the piston was coated as well as my hands ... I was contributing to
this attachment being slippery.

Bottom line... its *probably* ... case closed. Just keep the caliper lip and dust boot bone dry with
absolutely no grease on the either. Also don't look too close after you install it. It still probably
slipped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom