Buying spare tire - shave? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a set of 4 KO2s for the LX. I have about 5000 miles on them now.

The spare is currently probably the original tire (P metric Dunlop?). I'm thinking about buying another KO2 as a spare.

Given AWD, sounds like I should place the new tire directly into rotation (any particular corner or doesn't matter)? Question: do I need to have the new tire shave to match the average tread depth / diameter of the other tires? Or is 5000 miles no big deal (mostly all highway) - don't worry about shaving the new tire.

What is the tolerance on wheel to wheel tread depth difference? How much can it differ before problems result? I couldn't find any information in the manual.

I'm doing 5000 mile 5 tire rotation, you're good, no shaving.

If you bought 5 tires new, you normally rotate at about 5000 miles anyway, so it would just be in the rotation now (assume you buy and install it soon).

Same here. 5000 mile 5 tire rotation. Works great. Just do it consistently every 5000 or less miles and the LC will be happy. I use the 4WD vehicle rearward rotation pattern recommended by the Tire Rack.

1588640621651.png

No need. The tolerances aren't so tight that a shave would be necessary.

Great. Thanks guys. Based on this, just buy the tire. No shaving. Just place into rotation at rear right.

Begs the question why rotate at 5000 if the wear is mostly immaterial. But a question for another day. :)

Great. Thanks guys. Based on this, just buy the tire. No shaving. Just place into rotation at rear right.

Begs the question why rotate at 5000 if the wear is mostly immaterial. But a question for another day. :)

It’s because without orating, you end up with cupping...directional wear, etc even if minor. What little wear there is...you still want it to be evenly worn, because uneven wear is much harder to reverse if it goes very long.

Pick your rotation pattern (like the one above for example) and then stick to it in the future... to be sure all tires get through the various spots over time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom