Buying a Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think that is actually Prindiville Drive,Wangara

surf73 said:
I'm only going to sleep in it at weekends so I don't need a full-on camper, so I will also look at plain Troopcarriers and put the extras in myself.

Do you have to have the raised roof, Paul? It kills the fuel economy, just like a roof rack. Overlander had an article comparing how a roof rack and a trailer affects the fuel consumption on an 80 series. The roof rack raises fuel consumption much more than a heavier trailer.

Dave

Last edited:
surf73 said:
Thanks rosco - I'll have a drive around Wangara on Saturday.

I sold my 'surf' on Monday so transportation is a problem at the moment - but I can borrow a car for the weekend.
I'm only going to sleep in it at weekends so I don't need a full-on camper, so I will also look at plain Troopcarriers and put the extras in myself.

Basically i'd be interested in any one newer than 1996 for less that 17K around Perth.

Paul have you considered a cab chassis with hard cover on the rear.
Lots of 1-2 owner examples in your price range.
They are cheaper in the wheatbelt if your willing to travel 2-300klm
The cab chassis has the advantage of a removeable windscreen frame and roof which makes rust repair a breeze
Nearly all the troopys in the lower price ranges that I have seen have rust repair on the windscreen.

This is a link to under $20k cruisers in the auto trader.You can go back to the beginning and reenter the search criteria to broaden as the troopys are in 2 sections

http://www.autotrader.com.au/SearchResult.asp

http://www.autotrader.com.au/SearchResult.asp

I had a look at them last night.
The guy has let me hire one for $50 per day until Monday so I can't go wrong.

I bought it to a mechanic in Perth this morning and we took it for a drive and put it on the hoist.

It's looking pretty good.

260K, July 1997, no rust, motor is in great condition, new rear disks and 60% front pads, all the shackles have been replaced underneath, suspension looks new, rear diff looks pretty new, dual battery, roo-bar, snorkel, 5 great tyres, dual fual tanks, all the doors fit perfectly.

But........The gearbox is a bit noisy, (mechanic reckons a new bearing set within a year to save the gears), exhaust is blowing, and the handbrake needs adjusting.

It's not as nice as my Hilux surf inside but I'll change the cab interior pretty soon, (probably put 2 single seats in so you can walk through to the back).

I'll take it to Lancalin, (offroad) tommorow but I can handle just having to do the bearings in a few months.

As for the fuel economy, I have always driven vans so am used to it. I also only came to Australia from the UK 2years ago and am used to paying $2.50 a litre so don't mind too much.
Being able to sleep comfortably is also great for after the pub.

He has it up for $16,000 so I'll see what he says about the $1000 for the gearbox work and try for $14K. Most of the Troopies I've seen in this price range are around 1994-1995's without the camping gear. (Fridge, Cooker, Water tank, bedding, roof etc.etc must be worth at least $2K)

..........I'll still keep looking - but being able to hire it for the weekend does give me a lot of time to check it out.

Paul.

That sounds like a good deal.
When the bearings are noisy it will involve dismantling both the gearbox AND t/case.
So in this state you might as well rebuild the t/case.
I would say the total cost would be closer to $2-2500 if you need a 1st-2nd gear synchro and pay someone to do the work.
The synchro usually grinds in and out of those 2 gears.
That would be for a fully rebuilt g/box and t/case with 1-2 years warranty.
You might as well put a new clutch kit in while your there,$300 and rear mains oil seal$70 OEM

Have a great time up Lancelin,the weather forecast is for 27 sat and 28 sun,so it will be perfect.

A good drive is from Lancelin to Cervantes( 7 hours )along the tracks that follow the coast and then you can come back along the Brand Highway (2 hours).

There is some good spots to stop and have lunch and a swim such as Wedge Island.

There are maps on here,dont pay $3.50 for the crude hand drawn ones at Lancelin:D
http://www.exploroz.com.au

Great - Thanks for that.

I have to be back for the 'big day out' on Sunday but I'll definately make the most of the 'weekend rental' tommorow

I always go down South (Margaret river) to get a surf, but I'm sure that with this vehicle I'm going to find some great uncrowded spots on that Lancalin-Cervantes track. (I think tommorow will just be on the Lancalin 'Playground' though.

Maybe See you out there some time.

p.s The Gearbox is not really noisy yet - I didn't even notice it but the mechanic did, (reckons it could be a year before I need to do anything)

Paul (Scarborough)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom