Buying a Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi.

I've just joined this forum as I got severely 'stung' when I bought my last vehicle - and thought I would get some advice from here before doing it all over again.

I'm based in Australia, and after finally getting rid of my hilux surf, (it couldn't handle our environment) - I am ready to buy a Landcruiser troop carrier campervan for around AU$16,000.

Basically it will be a 1995-1998, 4.2l Diesel and have about 350,000Km's on it.

I am currently looking at 4 ex-rental ones which have been serviced every 15,000km since new.

Are there any things that I should look out for when I inspect them?.

Thanks a lot

Paul

Sorry If I don't get back today as I'm leaving work now but will be back tommorow.

My old boss,who was a long time landcruiser owner,always said "there is no such thing as a cheap landcruiser".

At $16K,they are about 5-6K under the normal used price for a good reason.

350000 Is a lot of klms with potentially 100s of different drivers,many never having driven a 4wd before.I keep reading those horror stories of English and German tourists stuck on salt pans for days or traversing oz via the scenic route without ever deflating the tyres.

At $6000 for an engine rebuild and $2500 for the gearbox and t/case its probably wise to get it checked by an experienced landcruiser mechanic

If they are still running the original motor/gearbox be wary.
I would check the gearbox and t/case are not full of oil thickeners to quieten worn bearings.
The seal beteen the gearbox and t/case often fails causing the t/case to empty itself into the gearbox.If the gearbox is overfull or has a bypass hose fitted you can be almost sure it needs fixing .

Get a compression test on motor.

Brakes and steering can feel great,just before you discover they need a $hitload of work doing to them.

Look for rust everywhere especially around the windscreen frame , lower body panels and the welds on the suspension.

I hope Im not sounding too pessimistic,but keep your eyes wide open

"Look for rust everywhere especially around the windscreen frame , lower body panels and the welds on the suspension."

Should read "and the suspension welds on the chassis"

and check the pillars.. even in normal use a 75 series cracks the B and C pillars. so a camper probably has some stress on it.

check the power steering box mount on the chassis... sometimes cracks.

check rear chassis for cracks... telstra used to always crack here in troopies for some reason.

make sure 4x4 works... that the front diff isn't fawked...

Check the A pillars if it ever had a roof rack. Models after '95 should have a reinforcement there so it's somewhat less likely. The driver's side rear door (RHD) may have cracked or bent hinges if the tire carrier is used for larger and heavier spares. Check the roof gutters for rust. Check the areas behind the rear wheel wells as dirt accumulates there and traps moisture, open the tools compartment and reach inside.

350000km is a lot, but if well cared for the 1HZ motor can last well past that.

Dave

Thanks for that.

I will get a mechanic to go along with me when I look at them tommorow.

Also - The point about them being 5-6K underprice is what appeals to me. The way I see it is that an ordinary guy, (like me) will always take a risk when buying a used vehicle.

However, I will feel much better spending 5K on new parts which I know will be good, than spending 20K+ on a vehicle which has still done 200K+ and could have hidden problems.

It's a nightmare...............But I will go and find a mechanic.

Thanks.

Paul.

AU$5K will even get you a good used 1HZ drivetrain from a wrecker down under.

BTW, the RACQ or whatever it's called in your state will do a vehicle inspection for $165 - $260 if you are a member.

Dave

surf73 said:
Thanks for that.

I will get a mechanic to go along with me when I look at them tommorow.

Also - The point about them being 5-6K underprice is what appeals to me. The way I see it is that an ordinary guy, (like me) will always take a risk when buying a used vehicle.

However, I will feel much better spending 5K on new parts which I know will be good, than spending 20K+ on a vehicle which has still done 200K+ and could have hidden problems.

It's a nightmare...............But I will go and find a mechanic.

Thanks.

Paul.

Paul, they are good reasons for going down that path as long as you are aware of the possible implications,and its true,you may even get another 200000klm trouble free.
I also understand that the fit out in those campers would take a lot of dollars and man hours to replicate,so if thats your thing ,go for it.

Are there any pics on the net somewhere?:D

I don't have any pictures (only this advert from Autotrader)
I then telephoned and found out that he has 3 more of them.

http://www.autotrader.com.au/photodisplay.asp?State=WA&adnumber=T000175451

I think that the best thing is for me to have a look tommorow and decide what the best thing to do is. Ideally I'll take a mechanic to compare all 4 of them. If I get the RAC to do it then they will charge for each inspection, (here in WA - you have to take the vehicle to their inspection site - they don't come out for 4WD's).

I have converted 2 ford Transit vans into campers before - and each one took 6 months, (after work etc.) so I am prepared to buy a plain Troopy - but these are preferable.

The other thing that really appeals is the age, (for eventual re-sale) - but obviously, the KM's are high.
Best thing is to have a look and come back to you guys in a couple of days.

Thanks.
Paul.

Also - This may seem like a stupid question - but how do you check if the 4WD works?

Do I need to jack it up or find a sand patch to spin them on? (They are in the City).

surf73 said:
Also - This may seem like a stupid question - but how do you check if the 4WD works?

Do I need to jack it up or find a sand patch to spin them on? (They are in the City).

I always take them up to Kings Park.Lots of good hill climbs just below the lookout:D

Seriously if its gonna clench the deal,the vendor should let you test it somewhere.
I would also demand a high speed freeway test to see what 5th is like.

There is a big patch of sand underneath the Narrows bridge on the southern side :D

Lock the hubs and put it in 4WD, drive it in a circle. If it is on bitumen you'd hear the tires squeal.

Dave

or you will hear a bang as the t/case exploads from the extreme load you just put on it....

Surf, ex-rentals score high in the "Lemon-Aid" books that are published here in Canada. They're books written by an independent source about the pitfalls of the used car market. The rental cars are apparantly a good bet because they are guaranteed to have been regularly serviced.

What are the rules in Australia regarding foreign imports? Could you consider an offshore model with much lower kms?

BTW, that camper is seriously cool.

moose_sv1000s said:
What are the rules in Australia regarding foreign imports? Could you consider an offshore model with much lower kms?

That used car with low kms phenomenon is Japan only and they get no troopies.

Dave

My last car, (Hilux surf) was an import and I'd never consider going that route again.
The cooling system couldn't handle our climate and basically I cooked it and cracked the head, (as do loads of 'surf' owners over here).
They also have a dual mass clutch system which costs a fortune to replace and the insurance is higher.

The other thing about Australia, (I'm guessing Canada too) is that you can get stuck in the middle of nowhere and having an import could mean waiting weeks for a spare part.

- and as Dave said - they don't have Troopies.

surf73 said:
The other thing about Australia, (I'm guessing Canada too) is that you can get stuck in the middle of nowhere and having an import could mean waiting weeks for a spare part.

True!...in Canada you either freeze and/or become Grizzly droppings, while in Australia you bake and/or become crocodile "floatings"...we share so much in common.
:D

You've heard the one about the couple that consults an outfitter shop in hopes of doing some hiking in British Columbia? The store owner says "You need to extremely cautious with regard to bears in the backcountry"...."Always wear these little bells on your boots and carry pepper spray at all times" he continued. "Even more important", he said, "you need to be able to identify bear droppings along the trail, so you know whether you're dealing with a black bear or a Grizzly bear"". "How can you tell the difference?" the couple asked..."Well" said the store owner..."black bear droppings contain various seeds and berries, while grizzly bear droppings contain little bells and smells like pepper". :bounce: :bounce:

I guess you don't have to worry about overheating your motors in Canada though.

I just spoke to the guy selling the campers, (I only spoke to his assistant before).

He has 4 of them, all 1997-1998 and the Km's range from 210-290K.
Prices are 15-17,000$AU

Sounds pretty good to me, (especially the Kilometres - I assumed that they would be much worse - as I saw one go through the auctions here with 360,000Km's fo $16K last week)

surf73 said:
I guess you don't have to worry about overheating your motors in Canada though.

I just spoke to the guy selling the campers, (I only spoke to his assistant before).

He has 4 of them, all 1997-1998 and the Km's range from 210-290K.
Prices are 15-17,000$AU

Sounds pretty good to me, (especially the Kilometres - I assumed that they would be much worse - as I saw one go through the auctions here with 360,000Km's fo $16K last week)

Paul have you looked at the 75 series campers on Buckingham drive,Wangara,they sell both the prego roof and the lift up fibreglass roofed version.
I think theyre in the same price range as the ones your looking at.
They had 3-4 last month for sale.

Thanks rosco - I'll have a drive around Wangara on Saturday.

I sold my 'surf' on Monday so transportation is a problem at the moment - but I can borrow a car for the weekend.
I'm only going to sleep in it at weekends so I don't need a full-on camper, so I will also look at plain Troopcarriers and put the extras in myself.

Basically i'd be interested in any one newer than 1996 for less that 17K around Perth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom