Building a deployment-ready supply box. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.poolpartydeathmachine.com
so my buddy and I have a tradition of going on last-minute excursions into the Bodega coast, but there's always some issue with supplies, we'll remember the foilpack meals, but not the foil, not enough flashlights, forgetting plates, or pots. Often just one simple thing, like this trip it was paper towels, so we've decided on assembling an action packer that's just ready to roll at a moment's notice, and I'd like to share my list for possible suggestions.

Plates
Utensils
Cutting board
2 sauce pans
Dutch-oven lid-lifter
coal tongs (for the DO)
Salt and Pepper
Paper Towels
Matches
Candles
Flashlights
Welding gloves
Crisco (for the DO)
Griddle

I know I'm missing something, so if you see a need, let me know!

D'oh!
Scratch the griddle, I can flip the lid on my DO and it'll work as one.

You forgot to list your DO. Wheres tha coffee?

and the lexan coffee press? I also like to have a small bottle of white gas, to makes lighting fires REALLY easy! In addition to salt and pepper, I have a spice pack with various seasonings like cayanne pepper, oregeno, basil, and whatever else you may want to include.

I dig the spice pack, but I don't do coffee, tea, however, I like black teas; a kettle's definitely missing, and mugs. shoot, a box of various ot drink mixes.
Fire-juice is a must, as is the DO, which is soon to get some friends...

Whenever my dad does the barbecues for my church, he keeps a green propane bottle and a torch for lighting the coals in any weather, hmm.....
I should also steal myu old Scout Master's design for a DO wind screen.

How about:

single malt
knife
water container

How about:

single malt
knife
water container

Single malt- good call, I may toss a Glenlivet or Talisker, and some Collins glasses in there for keeps. Or maybe a mini dry bar shaped like a chuckbox with a little bit of the important stuff in there too?
May have to save that idea for the big outings...

Knife- I'm never without cutlery, but I may just throw my old working set from my butchering days in there, just to always have something.

Water container- Good Call! I can't believe I forgot about that! water containers and iodine tabs, just in case.

Water container- Good Call! I can't believe I forgot about that! water containers and iodine tabs, just in case.

I would go collapsable so you can store it in the action packer and fill when needed... something like this.

Amazon.com: Reliance Products 5 Gallon Poly-Bagged Fold-A-Carrier Collapsible Water Carrier: Sports & Outdoors

I have thought about carrying a water filter and trim the water down to what I think I will need (I do ~ 1gal a day). The water filter would be a backup (and taste better than tablets :) )

Amazon.com: MSR SweetWater Microfilter (Gray/Red): Sports & Outdoors

EDIT: forgot to say... I like the list!! :cheers:

I would go collapsable so you can store it in the action packer and fill when needed... something like this.

Amazon.com: Reliance Products 5 Gallon Poly-Bagged Fold-A-Carrier Collapsible Water Carrier: Sports & Outdoors

I have thought about carrying a water filter and trim the water down to what I think I will need (I do ~ 1gal a day). The water filter would be a backup (and taste better than tablets :) )

Amazon.com: MSR SweetWater Microfilter (Gray/Red): Sports & Outdoors

EDIT: forgot to say... I like the list!! :cheers:

I didn't list my filter, since it's generally hanging out with my backpacking gear, I figured the tablets would be there because a bird in the pot beats two in the bush, but I definitely appreciate the suggestion, and links. Shoot, I even forgot to pack the filter last time... I need to get my act together.

Trash bags
Olive oil
Cork screw
Can opener
Foil
Zip lock bags for left overs.

oohhh, yeah, all good points, I even mentioned forgetting the foil for foilpacks last tiem, and I didn't even list it! d'oh!

oh, and I work in a hotel that gives away labeled cork-screws as in-room amenities... :hmm:

I'd just like to thank everybody for their contributions to my list, and now for phase II: assembly...

I have a few plastic shipping cases and Pelican cases that I keep the camping and travel stuff in. I should put a list on each for what is supposed to be in it. That way I could just check one out at a time before a trip. Got to get them all checked out before next Thursday.

The shipping cases are the fold over top style like used by many chain stores. They need to be protected from rain. The Pelican cases are 1620s. They are a nice compromise between size and weight. For this trip I'll use some 15 gallon Rubbermaid tubs for food stuffs. I've had some of the plastic die in my now 10 to 20 year old shipping cases.:rolleyes:

Just having spent my whole Scouting career around 'em, I love Rubbermaid Action-Packers. They're tough, and big enough to fit anything you really need for a group camp-out cookware-wise.

I really like the Pelican cases, but they're just a little too much coin for me, and I'd like to see a pic of these shipping containers if you have 'em, so I know what you're talking about.

For water productions this is the way I have gone for longer trips. Its small and lightweight when empty but produces a good amount of water with no effort.

Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

Hey, yeah, I saw some folks using one of those during my recent Yosemite trip. Great idea, they were just fishing, with the water bladders hanging from the branches of a sequoia, doing there thing hands-free. I may have to look into one for stashing purposes later on.

For now I've got an MSR Sweetwater and an MSR Waterworks, and they do great. I'm a little wary of the sweetwater, since it uses the same filter as the Waterworks, but moves water faster, whic makes me think that it's just not getting as "cleaned" as the other... maybe I'm just paranoid.

If you can find them the big military medical boxes work great. They are made of aluminum so they are lighter and stronger than a similar size plastic box. They are also 100% water and dust tight. The vertical sides also utilize space very well. I have two and love them.
158173_ts.jpg

I have an enamel plate and coffee cup set (4 ea), various plastic eating utensils, 2 cast iron skillets, a sauce pan, can opener, a large pot w/cover (cover also fits smaller skillet), a coffee percolater, several wooden spoons, two pancake turners, both slotted/unslotted spoons, a long handled burger flipper and meat fork, a butcher knife, a paring knife, a small bottle of dish soap, a sponge/scrubber, a couple of dish cloths, a roll of trashbags, two rolls of asswipe, paper towels, gallon/qt ziplocks, several long handled lighters, and a mapp gas torch. Oh, my LP tank tree is in there, as are two extension hoses. That way I can put a lantern on top of the tree, and run another lantern a ways away.

I always take my CampChef Pro90 and two tanks of LP.

That junk stays in my camping gear tote. Add chow and coffee and I'm set.

If you can find them the big military medical boxes work great. They are made of aluminum so they are lighter and stronger than a similar size plastic box. They are also 100% water and dust tight. The vertical sides also utilize space very well. I have two and love them.

A local salvage yard deals in old military containers, and is where I scored my two .50 Cal. ammo cans from, I'll pay them a visit today and see if I can find one for cheaper than an Action Packer.

These are the style.
Round Trip Totes
For awhile Target was selling good ones. Then they got in cheaper ones.

I've seen those, we used them to store shelf-stable foods in my old Scout Troop's trailer. We may have used the cheap once because the one we had took a spill and shattered to bits.

I have an enamel plate and coffee cup set (4 ea), various plastic eating utensils, 2 cast iron skillets, a sauce pan, can opener, a large pot w/cover (cover also fits smaller skillet), a coffee percolater, several wooden spoons, two pancake turners, both slotted/unslotted spoons, a long handled burger flipper and meat fork, a butcher knife, a paring knife, a small bottle of dish soap, a sponge/scrubber, a couple of dish cloths, a roll of trashbags, two rolls of asswipe, paper towels, gallon/qt ziplocks, several long handled lighters, and a mapp gas torch. Oh, my LP tank tree is in there, as are two extension hoses. That way I can put a lantern on top of the tree, and run another lantern a ways away.

I always take my CampChef Pro90 and two tanks of LP.

That junk stays in my camping gear tote. Add chow and coffee and I'm set.

I like it, you brought up some points I didn't think of, like spatulas, cleaning supplies, and mountain money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom