Breaking in rear leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a secret to this or what. My driver Rear OME leaf is still factory stiff. When I 1st brought my 40 home both driver and passenger rear leaf had the dreaded bad shackle angle but the passenger side eventually settled and now it's good to go. I just installed my new rear bumper and that added at least another 60 lbs to the rear, But that darn driver side still will not settle!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

add alot of weight and let it sit in the back for a while (few days)

also leaving the cruiser in a flexed out position will help as well.

Check your shackle bolts. I bet the ones on the driver's side are waaaay too tight which has your spring locked in place.

Another idea is to park it flexed up like in the picture (not mine - borrowed from MUD). Good luck.
Green with tan top on Ramps.jpg

Last edited:
I bet the shackle is too tight, I parked that rear wheel on a cinder block for a weekend and it didn't change it's position at all.

OMEs under a '40 are stiff. Just the way they are made and the way it is.

Mark...

And sure enough when I looked at the driver rear shackle, the top bolt was so tight it was pinching in the the shackle. I loosened up the bolt till it wasn't bent in anymore and sure enough the angle started to improve. I drove it around the block and it's riding alot smoother.

And sure enough when I looked at the driver rear shackle, the top bolt was so tight it was pinching in the the shackle. I loosened up the bolt till it wasn't bent in anymore and sure enough the angle started to improve. I drove it around the block and it's riding alot smoother.

Good news!

Now go flex it out and it will get even smoothererer.

That must be a Missiissippi word. :flipoff2:

Is that how you spell Mississippi in Colorado?!

We spell it Mis'sippi.

For your information, smoothererer is a highly technical term.

Glad MUD solved another "why is my ride so harsh" thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom