brand new fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am doing just about what you have in mind. I am starting with a rusted out 71 so that I have a title etc. The only part I will be keeping is the transfer case and a few electrical parts. I figure it will cost $30k or better depending on motor etc.(best junk yard buys). You can beat the smog laws by using an older title

I would have to agree with John H. It may be easier to start with a clean late model 40. I started with a clean ’82 FJ40 that had a few dents. I reupholstered the seats, put in new OEM door panels and floor mat among other things, cleaned the hell out of it, and had it repainted inside and out. It is a great driving truck. I have a total of about $11K into a truck that looks almost new, and that I wouldn’t be afraid to drive across the country in.

Pics here:

http://members.cox.net/1982fj40/index.htm

again, I'd say what has been said before. Having a 1981, you get all the best of the FJ40 (albeit poor sheet metal- so buy a clean one!). A 1981+ is identical to a FJ60 as far as driveline and therefore you have same running gear parts 1981-1987 models (and more than any type 40). If you get suckered into a 1983+, you get the center bolt in dash which is impossible to find parts for - I have a friend searching world wide for a dash cubby pocket which does not exist. (I'd stick to 1981/2 models for that).

PS is the easy one to source for an easy add on- and use the OE PS casting build up (John H and others know the trick).

I guess if you count time then it does push the "cost" through the roof, but I love working on cars. Not to mention that I piss with mine most every day to just be close to it (I swear it is a sickness). Used to wrench on buddies cars for free just so i could get practice and because it is fun for me. I guess I dont think of the time issue as a cost. Titling in PA is trick from what i understand but I could just roll up to the inspection in my "newly restored" 1975 landcruiser. Put all the tags and vin related bits from the donor on it

Aren`t cruisers stamped on the frame?I am sweating registation time when I get my resto done on my 78`40.The bone heads that sandblasted my tup nearly erased the i.d. tags on the firewall and door jamb,pretty much unreadable.Could I use a different title??????(I`m in Ca.smog nazi hell)planning on sbc.What should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom