Brake Failure_uzj100 Power Brake booster repair- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This - 47070-60010 ABS PUMP BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER BOOSTER MOTOR 4RUNNER REPAIR KIT | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144028085078 - is legit.
Arrived with DHL in 4 days from UK Florida. Total with shipping was $160. Came with brushes - didn't use them, see pics for reason. Seems to be balanced. One bearing - noname, one good of a quality.
Finished assembly, putting the preload spring back in place was a not fun of a task. But all worked out great. If someone is doing this - pay attention to clearances.
I also got some stainless steel (I know) M5 hardware (the bolts has to be 6mm, I had to cut mine to length). Nuts went in snug. Crimped new wires for it too. Put a bunch of dialectic grease in attempt to future proof this (after assembly, lol). Had to laser cut new gasket for the mating surface (shout out to snapmaker 2.0) between pump and motor assembly, came out great! The thing actually has drain! Don't forget to make sure it's not clogged. The metal rubberized gasket was in a bad shape (the one under the motor housing) so I just cleaned it up from the old rubber, used some gasket maker and sealed it alright. Bench test - ✔
Installed ABS back in, turned on - no ABS found, darn it... Spent 30min troubleshooting, checking fuses and such, then went for lunch and remembered that I disconnected the brains to get access to the bolts under steering column. Don't work on cars when you hungry :)
Actuation test with easydiag - all good. Spend a an hour bleeding breaks and hold and behold - NO MORE SPONGY BREAKS. I didn't believe it and got another human being to drive it (who refused before because of the breaks). Turns out the breaks indeed improved to modern standards. You know when you rent a low milage car at the airport and first couple of touches to the break pedal are very dramatic? That is the experience.
So as an alternative to the whole unit replacement - I would recommend this. For a unit with 235000 miles on it it's amazing. Do the cylinder rebuild kit while you there (did mine at 203000miles).

20230328_152656.jpg
20230328_165101.jpg
20230328_185636.jpg
2023-03-30 12_15_16-_ 20230329_095303.jpg - XnView MP.png
20230329_112111.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW
I had the dreaded alarm and ABS TRC etc. lights on for the past 2 weeks intermittently. :eek:

Long story short, after reading loads of others stories about ABS motor failures causing this error and running code 51, I figured this was the most appropriate place to start.

Removed MC/Booster assembly, and sure enough the common issue of corroded terminals due to exposure to brake fluid was found.
IMG20230328125843.jpg

Then out of curiosity I took apart the motor to see its condition, assuming it was going to need to be replaced.
IMG20230328125911.jpg

After inspecting it and seeing only little wear on the commutator, I decided to clean it all up and remove the corrosion from the connections, put it back together with new terminal screws and see how it goes. 🤞

Once it was all back together, all warning lights and alarms are now gone and no codes as well.

It seems as though I may have caught this at the right time, before any substantial damage caused by the increased resistance from the corroded terminals cooked the motor.

This - 47070-60010 ABS PUMP BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER BOOSTER MOTOR 4RUNNER REPAIR KIT | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144028085078 - is legit.
Arrived with DHL in 4 days from UK Florida. Total with shipping was $160. Came with brushes - didn't use them, see pics for reason. Seems to be balanced. One bearing - noname, one good of a quality.
They used to have Made in Japan bearing on both ends. I would be tempted to replace the no name bearing with a quality bearing or the old bearing from the old motor.

Finished assembly, putting the preload spring back in place was a not fun of a task.
What is the trick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom