Brake and Taillight wiring problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help as my aftermarket manuals aren't showing me much in the way of electrical circuits.

After I reinstalled my dash (in a hurry) I didn't have any working tail lights. I have new tail light housings, reverse lights worked, signal lights worked, and brake light were working. Got onto a ferry a few weeks ago and the guy behind me told me I had no brake lights and that's where I'm at today.

So tail lights and brake lights aren't working, bulbs are good and if I power up the circuits the lights work properly. I removed the hack job trailer wiring and also redid the splice at the rear where it splits left and right. I haven't found any chassis ground in the rear wiring harness only the ground wiring from the front of the truck. Taillight relay operates when I cycle the headlight switch seeing as I assume it powers the license plate lights as well.

Funny parts are 3 - 15A fuses by the drivers footwell doesn't show typical power supplies. I would like a diagram of the fuses since I don't know what fuses are for what.

Also does anyone have a diagram of the electrical circuits I'm after.... I really need to get this thing back on the road soon enough so I can unload it of my moving stuff lol.

Well you don't mention what year or model, but on an 85 4Runner/truck, there are specific ground wires (white with black stripe). The hot side is green with a white stripe. There is a 15 amp fuse for the stop light circuit, it's on the fuse box located on the driver side kick panel. Hope this helps.

As for manuals, I found a Factory Service Toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram manual (it's wiring only) on ebay for about $20. Well worth it.

Ya we really need to know year/model.

1987 JDM Hilux 2.4 Diesel 5 speed

I came up empty handed searching EBAY previously... maybe I searched wrong?
Black with white tracer seems to be the ground coming from the front but I was unsure if there was an actual ground point on the chassis somewhere in the rear.
Green with white tracer is my brake lamp circuit and solid green is my taillamp circuit.

I'll go back around the fuse panel again today and check but I've got 3 - 15A fuses giving me strange readings so just looking to sort out the common thread.

1987 JDM Hilux 2.4 Diesel 5 speed

I came up empty handed searching EBAY previously... maybe I searched wrong?
Black with white tracer seems to be the ground coming from the front but I was unsure if there was an actual ground point on the chassis somewhere in the rear.
Green with white tracer is my brake lamp circuit and solid green is my taillamp circuit.

I'll go back around the fuse panel again today and check but I've got 3 - 15A fuses giving me strange readings so just looking to sort out the common thread.

The wiring diagram I referenced should be accurate for your truck. It's for an 86 4Runner, should be close?

An ebay search for "toyota truck service manual" netted 261 results.

Specifically, searched for 1987 Toyota Truck Service Manual. Found a set, kinda bad condition for the money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-TOYOTA...anuals_Literature&hash=item5d4c0ecc4e&vxp=mtr

If it doesn't sell, contact the seller offline (don't tell ebay ;) ) and make an offer...

Hope this helps. When I found my manuals I saw a FSM for a 94 FJ80 that I had at the time, it never sold and I hounded the seller afterwards. Got it for $50... Manuals do exist on ebay. Patience, grasshopper.

2 issues found so far.

Faulty brake switch not allowing enough current to light up the brake lights. Tail light wire - green - open or rub through somewhere above the fuse panel behind the dash, haven't located it yet. Fortunately now the rear wiring has been completely redone removing all the crimp and tape splices and crappy scotchlock trailer wiring job.

Whoever invented Scotchlok connectors should be ashamed of themselves. I hate those things.

They're just plain s***. Only slightly less crap than the factory crimp and tape that I got rid of at the same time.

Anyone order a stop lamp switch from Toyota happen to remember the part number... I'm coming up with 2 choices and don't see any indication on the old switch as to which one I need.

84340-30030 MATSUS HITA

84340-32010 TOKAIRIKA

Message beno with your Vin. He should be able to tell you which part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom