Bowfin Cruisers Rack - Attachments and Accessories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I for one am looking for some inspiration on how to maximize my rack. I searched and couldn't seem to find a definitive thread for tips, tricks, use-cases, etc. for any of the Bowfin Rack Systems so thought we could start one. Post your pics on how you are attaching accessories to this amazing rack system! Shout out to @dogfishlake for an absolutely beautiful and functional piece of work.

I was just searching for this same thing tonight! I have a bowfin on my 100 and looking for a hi lift mount...

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Front Runner rack accessories should work with the bars of the Bowfin rack. I plan on ordering some myself, but have not personally tried anything yet.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Front Runner rack accessories should work with the bars of the Bowfin rack. I plan on ordering some myself, but have not personally tried anything yet.

I think the front runner stuff is only applicable to their racks? Maybe I’m wrong but I remember the Prinsu guys saying it didn’t fit their rack system so I’m definitely assuming. Maybe the Bowfin’s are different?

I think the front runner stuff is only applicable to their racks? Maybe I’m wrong but I remember the Prinsu guys saying it didn’t fit their rack system so I’m definitely assuming. Maybe the Bowfin’s are different?
Maybe not all of the accessories, but it seems like anything that uses T-Nuts for holding it down should just as easily slide in the bars of the Bowfin rack.

I have a Yakima Fat Cat Evo 6 Ski/Snowboard Holder that is secured to my bowfin with T nuts. I had to grind down the profile of the supplied T-nuts on the grinder a bit to fit into the extrusions, but was about 10 mins of work. I can even fit my LX450 on 3" slinky suspension and 35" tires into the garage with 7' doors with the Yakima rack installed.

I tried the Front runner eye bolts and they are a lot larger than what would fit the bowfin rack. I do have the tent brackets that bowfin sells on my and they work great for a tent or some other applications. I also have the bowfin awning bracket.

For a hi lift mount I’ll prob just pick up some metal stock at Home Depot and make something (and post here what I come up with). But eventually I’m going to add awning mounts, and other things... sure would be nice to have accessories that are plug and play.

For a hi lift mount I’ll prob just pick up some metal stock at Home Depot and make something (and post here what I come up with). But eventually I’m going to add awning mounts, and other things... sure would be nice to have accessories that are plug and play.
I’ve got the awning mounts from Bowfin that are fantastic. Fit my Ironman 4x4 Awning well. Had to use a blend of the Ironman hardware and Patrick’s hardware that came with the mounts. But yes definitely post here once you build it out.

For those of you mounting awnings, do you think the Bowfin awning mounts and t-slot rails are strong or are they susceptible to bending or tearing with significant wind forces?

I’m looking at the Bush Company 270 XT Awning, which is a free standing awning, about 60 pounds. The Bush Company US rep says the Bowfin awning mounts will rip out of the t-slot in windy conditions. He says it is necessary to drill through the sides of the rack and mount the awning using L brackets.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

For those of you mounting awnings, do you think the Bowfin awning mounts and t-slot rails are strong or are they susceptible to bending or tearing with significant wind forces?

I’m looking at the Bush Company 270 XT Awning, which is a free standing awning, about 60 pounds. The Bush Company US rep says the Bowfin awning mounts will rip out of the t-slot in windy conditions. He says it is necessary to drill through the sides of the rack and mount the awning using L brackets.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.
I highly doubt that...the bowfin mounts are extremely strong and they have 4 mounting points on EACH bracket that attach to the Tslots. I'd say invest in the higher quality Tnutz 80/20 and you'll be golden. Call Patrick from Bowfin or email him, he's extremely helpful and will give you some more detail.

I.e. My awnings are held with 2 each because I thought 4 was overkill. I've gone on some gnarly terrain, washboard roads for hundreds of miles, nothing as budged at all. Going to install the other two nuts this weekend cause why not?

I just attach a tarp to mine and two poles for a small awning. And I changed to smaller 1x1 extrusion crossbars for mounting my kayaks up top. I don't use J-hooks.

Spending time one the 80/20 website or tnutz website shows that you have so many options you just have to think a little.

Oh and you can mount through the extrusion if you want a more solid connection....just doubt it is necessary. I would not plan on keeping an awning deployed during a hurricane anyway.
20200730_141847.jpg

20200730_141909.jpg

Resurfacing an old thread here but curious if anyone has made their own attachments for the top of the rack. I recently started doing research and realized there are SO many different kinds of T-nuts. Does anyone have a specific type they've had the most success with?

I was hoping to attached quick-fists and a few other things for an upcoming trip.

1622836281225.png

Reactions: KTP
I've made my own awning brackets. It was about as cheap to make a batch of 10 as it was for 2 so I have more.

bracketsfinal1.jpeg
bracketsfinal2.jpeg

I'm referring to the slots on *the top* of the rack not off the side. Anyone have a suggestion for the size/shape of T-nuts that have worked best?

You need to be looking at series 10 as that is what he is using for the crossbars. You need to explain what you are looking to do in more detail of you want some very specific series 10 hardware items. Otherwise spend time on tnutz and 80/20 websites and look at what they got. Those are not the only places that have series 10 extrusion but they are the ones I've delt with.

There are drop in nuts and nuts you slide in from the end. Drop in is easier but the slide in nuts are larger and maybe stronger. There are some screw heads they sell that can drop in and turn in to lock and then you can use regular nuts on the upside in place of in the extrusion. What you are attaching above is up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom