Both Back up Lights out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a few hours inside a heated garage Saturday. The last time I had the oil changed, they pointed out that BOTH back-up lights are out, and the bulbs are fine.

I can check the fuse panel, but I have not noticed anything else that is out.

Any suggestions what may be causing the back-up lights to not work?

There is a switch that controls the lights when you shift into reverse. I am out of town away from my FSM and 80 presently, so have no reference. I would start there, though. Sounds like switch is out of adjustment. If yours is an auto tranny, I think it's near linkage on tranny, if a standard shift, the FSM for your rig would help you. Good luck & HTH!

1st: what year is your 80 and auto or manual tranny?

2nd: Does the indicator between the speedo and Tach show you are in R ?

If #2 is NO , then be the Neutral safety switch (NSS) or the connection plug to it could be bad or wires corroded. (that will depend on if its a 91-94 or 95-97)

Sorry for not posting the details

I have a '95 w/ an Automatic

Mine does that sometimes too. Never have gotten around to pulling the switch off the drivers side of the trans. Try searching for the neutral position switch and there will be pics.

By the way, my backup lights always work when the orange R is lit up on the instrument cluster.

HTH

Daisy

1st: what year is your 80 and auto or manual tranny?

2nd: Does the indicator between the speedo and Tach show you are in R ?

If #2 is NO , then be the Neutral safety switch (NSS) or the connection plug to it could be bad or wires corroded. (that will depend on if its a 91-94 or 95-97)

My two cents for future reference:

Before replacing the NSS, I loosened the bolts that hold the NSS in place and found that it allows for some adjustment. I just had to find the right position that gave me both the indicator lights on the dash and also the rear back-up lights as well. No issues since then and didn't have to replace the NSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom