Borrego Springs TR - New 285 Revo's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eric-You're kidding right?

This event has been in the planning stages for months, and posted repeatedly on the Norcal list. I know you are a member of that list or at least have been in the past. Are you saying you are entitled to special notices?:confused:

The only person we kept it a secret from was you. All the cool people heard about the trip and some of them participated.:flipoff2:

BTW, who are these mythical "better wheelers" you refer to? Are you one of them? Maybe you should just go on trips with them. You are too hardcore for the rest of us.:rolleyes:

:cheers:

Or how about a shout out to us so-cal guys!

:cool: :cool:

Mars said:
Or how about a shout out to us so-cal guys!

:cool: :cool:

oh yeah...sure.

if we did that, we'd get too many unsavories tagging along....like eric for one...

:D

Mars,
We heard over the cb that you were up on the trail. very cool to see another 80 out there, here's a quick pic as we passed
DSC_0325.jpg

IdahoDoug said:
So, can you go all the way through Coyote Canyon like the old days? We used to travel it all the way and then some time about 1990 they shut it down permanently for sheep breeding (prior to that it was just a few months a year shutdown when the sheep babies were born).

So is it back open?

DougM

Doug: Entry from Anza is seasonal, closed for sheep breeding. Even so, you can NOT go all the way through at anytime as the willows area is totally enclosed and locked. You can drive from Anza to Borrego Springs via Coyote Canyon. I own land in there they wont let me go to. The ABSP administrators are bastards.

FirstToy said:
Mars,
We heard over the cb that you were up on the trail. very cool to see another 80 out there, here's a quick pic as we passed

I can't describe how cool it was to be driving all day, passing Jeeps and Samauri's, thinking I was the only guy out there knowing how amazing these trucks are, when you guys came up the wash in front of me. This was the first trip I've taken in a locked 80, and I was so stoked that I actually owned one...and then running into a group of guys who obviously feel the same way about their trucks as me! It was...well...just plain bitchin'!

Look forward to meeting all of you properly!

Marshall

Anza Borrego

Okay, I posted up a trip report with a couple of images.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=943648#post943648

Mars! Good to see you out there and thanks for the quick back up on the trail!

Eric, there were rocks on the trail, I just figured you wouldn't want to go or we wouldn't want to wait--it was one of those reasons :rolleyes:
Maybe next time...

nope, have not been on the Norcal email list yet, but obviously should be since you guys are doing all the cool trips in the state!

unsavories, eh? guess I'll have to bring donuts then...! that should get me some mileage! :)

Well, I have many fond memories of that place. I used to keep the phone number for the elusive one week a year desert bloom handy. Those in the know would start calling it about now and thereafter until the taped message let you know the desert was beginning to bloom. Then you'd pack your camping gear, camera and anyone you wanted forever in your debt to have shown you such beauty and head out. See in the above picture with Mars standing by his truck and what looks like dry sticks about 10 feet tall? I think they're called Ocotilla and they're actually very much alive. During the bloom, they're festooned with green top to bottom and they have bright red flowers atop each stalk.

When they closed it, I was deeply angered by it because there was no public input. But I accepted it as the price to pay for keeping wildlife in the area. It's a tough call, but it was one of the many things that prompted me to move to an area where there is so much wilderness it will be decades before we crowd out the area.

Anyhow, for those interested in this treat, get an Anza map and look somewhere on it for a number for the desert bloom hotline. It's a treat and if you're smart you'll take a day off work and spend it there as there will be fewer others. On the weekends around the bloom it's an unsavory madhouse - even guys like Eric may be there....heh.

DougM

Incidentally, the big horn sheep, whose watering grounds the closure was to protect, are dying anyway because their feeding habitat, the low grasslands in the coachella valley has all been developed for housing. Poor nutrition has made them susceptible to new viruses. Also the sheep near the watering ponds are very tame and would not mind the odd ORV passing buy. The rangers just like being gestapo - they drive around in big trucks loaded with all sorts of automatic weapons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom