Bolts for frame repair?

I did a search, I think I read about this on here a while back but can't find it.

I'm putting in Cruiser Solutions rear frame and gussets. What size bolts do I need (length/diameter)? I know I need the high strength (grade 10.something in metric?), but I'm not sure what the best length and diameter would be. I don't know if going too long will interfere with installing other body parts etc. down the road.

I guess you mean grade 8 bolts that are hardened and thereby more brittle but do not stretch as much as other choices might under the great force of your mighty arm aided by the leverage of a wrenching system. Whether they're more appropriate to your installation than other bolts I'll leave to other discussion. In most cases though when using bolts of the diameters you will use the threading does not extend to the head of the bolt. This could make a longer bolt than needed impossible to tighten without additional spacing by washers or other means. So even if those long bolts may not interfere with later additions the threading factor might preclude their use.

Good luck!

;)

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
I used Grade 8 standard or 10.9 metric bolts for everything.

Brittle.....sure.....just like glass. ;)

Read away yes all of it. It should answer ANY question you have about fasteners, why you should use a grade ? bolt over a grade ? bolt of the same diameter, etc.

Funny that Caterpillar, John Deere, and many heavy equipment manufactures use so many brittle bolts to hold their machines together....;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the replies. I measured the frame holes, and it looks like a 10mm bolt will do the trick. I think 20 or 25mm length will work. I'm going to order 25's which I think will give me room to put a washer on each end with a lock washer.

Do you think I need to use lock washers? I figure it would be safer since most of these were origianally rivets....

tucker74

I would go ahead and order flat washers and lock washers while you're at it ... unless you got lock nuts. I would also recommend going as short as you can get away with - sucks when bolts cross etc (seen more on front gussets) -

I always use stainless on mine - not quite as strong (S030400 - upper range of grade 5/lower grade 8) , but much easier to remove later :rolleyes:

Tucker

Last edited:

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Lock washers are not needed if the bolt is torqued properly

Do you see lock washers in a motor???

tucker74

Mace said:
Lock washers are not needed if the bolt is torqued properly

Do you see lock washers in a motor???
You are absolutely correct sir, but I don't typically get out my torque wrench and look up the specs for every bolt and nut like I would in a engine ... hence the extra protection. The proper torque will provide adequate clamping force to negate the need for these.

Tucker

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
If I am replacing hardware, I do not use a lockwasher. They suck, and offer about as much protection as a rubber with holes in it...

They are a conduit for corrosion, then break, then you have a loose bolt.

Metal locking nuts and locktite.

Just my opinion, to each their own.

:beer:

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
That was a good link Poser. How do you remove locktited hardware? Is it best to heat first? Impact? I really hate broken bolts, and use more anti-seize than Locktite unless the specs call for Locktite.

I always have used grade 8 or the metric equivalent when available. Now I'm glad.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
A little heat goes a long way with locktite..

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Andrew-

Red locktite sometimes takes heat or makes it easier if you do not have air tools, but I have not found it to be an issue...even with hand tools...it is simply a matter of leverage. ;)

Red locktite will not lead to a broken bolt, unless it was damaged during the original install....(over tourqued).

:beer:

I guess I'll go without the lockwashers. I will be using a torque wrench on these. My local hardware store had the grade 10.9's, but not enough so I ordered them from Bolt Depot. I got the 25mm, but I'm thinking the 20mm's would have worked especially without a lock washer.....:doh: I hope they don't interfere from being too long......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom