Boken locker pins--day old lock right!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, it's already on its way back to Richmond.

good thing they are going to warranty it for you. but do you really want to go thru this again?

shame on the dog if he bites you once, shame on you if the dog bites you twice.

i hope you dont get bit twice, for the sake of your own sanity.

I have ran the detroit ez locker, a lock rite and the aussie locker. I have never experiences broken pins in any of these. I know for dependable performnce of any of these "lunch box lockers" you should always just put in new thrust washers. Randy's sells them for like $16. If your thrust washers are worn there will not be the correct gap betweem the side gears and drivers and the teeth will tend to slide (or chunk) over each other under torque. I replaced a lock rite once only to find out that the reall issue was the worn thrust washers and the surface on the carrier where they spin.

That reminds me... if you've ever had anything let go in your diff, the metal shavings will tear up the thrust washers AND the surface on the carrier where they ride. Probably not a big deal to run a slightly scored carrier with an open diff, but if you put a lock rite or whatever int the worn carrier, it will have the same too loose/over gapped effect as the worn out thrust washers.

Aside from those issues, I have no idea why your pins broke. Either something was put together wrong, or there was a defect from the manufacturer. Differences in tire pleasure would not be enough to break the pins, otherwise they would break just going around a corner when scuffing or driving.

The three brands I used were all a little different.

Lock Rite was the roughest, followed by the ez locker. The aussie locker is tremendously better than either of these. I don't know why because they look exactly the same but the aussie is way way smoother! I have one in my front end right now and I hardly know it's there except for the occasional click. No tremendous bucking or torque steer like the other two.

I did notice with the lock rite in the rear that with the proper driving finesse you could alll but make the bucking and poping disapear.

I also ran a full detroit locker in the rear of a V6 4 runner. It was smoother than the lock rite but still more noisy than the aussie. The detroit is obvously a better stronger setup though, if you have the coin. Detroits make dull pops instead of the really loud metal breaking sounds of the lunch box lockers so they are slightly less alarming.

Whatever you use even if you weld a diff, traction is king! No amount of flex will ever make up for real 4 wheel drive.

I've had a full detroit, never broke in 4 years i ran it, and i still see my old truck to this day with that locker in it after 6 years. I ran 36 inch swampers and I don't think my tire pressure was ever completely even. Not good for it I know, but it never phased it one bit. If I was only willing to spend 200 bucks on a locker Id easily buy a spool over a lunchbox locker (for the rear anyway). From what I hear the street mannerisms are not a lot better with a cheap lunchbox locker, and good luck breaking a spool.

I've had a full detroit, never broke in 4 years i ran it, and i still see my old truck to this day with that locker in it after 6 years. I ran 36 inch swampers and I don't think my tire pressure was ever completely even. Not good for it I know, but it never phased it one bit. If I was only willing to spend 200 bucks on a locker Id easily buy a spool over a lunchbox locker (for the rear anyway). From what I hear the street mannerisms are not a lot better with a cheap lunchbox locker, and good luck breaking a spool.

An EZ-Rite is not the same as a Full Detroit.

Just To Let You All Know, We As A Group Have Gone Through 7 Lock Rights. Combination Of Big Tires, Low Tire Pressure, Horse Power And Torqe Really Kills The Lock Rights.
Oval Pin Holes, And Broken Pins We Have Found Every Time.

So After Reading For A Little Bit. I Went With An Aussie Locker. Basic Same Design. Just Supposely Stronger. Have No Had A Single Problem Yet.

I've Go Another 40 Miles Till The Aussie Is Broke In. So After That I Am Going Wheelin.

*Note I Only Drive 5 Miles A Day. For Work. So Its Taking Me A Lille Bit.

But are we all on the same page with a TWO PIECE CASE 4pinion locker, NOT a open 2pinion case locker? I think the issue with mine is the inability to check thrust clearances and adjust with shims other than the stock ones. I'm going to see what Aussie has with a 4 pinion case locker, which sould be out soon.

An EZ-Rite is not the same as a Full Detroit.

I guess I should have worded it different. What I should have said is buy a full detroit, if you want to cheap out buy a mini spool. If you like diagnosing vacuum problems, buy an ARB. If you are really cheap you should buy a nice welder, weld your gears up and return the welder later that day. I was just trying to say that for another 2-300 bucks depending on where you go, the full detroit is worth it's weight in gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom