Body movement/wiggle on rear end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to identify the cause of some movement in the rear end of my 100 series Land Cruiser. It's like a small wiggle or shift back and forth of the rear of the body over the axle.

I recently replaced all four shocks and rear springs with OME 865s, which was needed and improved the overall ride quality. With the bounce of bad shocks now gone, it is more noticeable that there's some lateral movement in the rear. It's most noticeable at highway speeds over long bumps (like the joints on an overpass).

I wondered if it could be the track bar/panhard bar, but what I've read seems to indicate different issues when that goes bad. Also, I replaced the sway bar end links and bushings.

Any ideas what could cause this?

I'm trying to identify the cause of some movement in the rear end of my 100 series Land Cruiser. It's like a small wiggle or shift back and forth of the rear of the body over the axle.

I recently replaced all four shocks and rear springs with OME 865s, which was needed and improved the overall ride quality. With the bounce of bad shocks now gone, it is more noticeable that there's some lateral movement in the rear. It's most noticeable at highway speeds over long bumps (like the joints on an overpass).

I wondered if it could be the track bar/panhard bar, but what I've read seems to indicate different issues when that goes bad. Also, I replaced the sway bar end links and bushings.

Panhard bar is there to help control lateral movement so you might be on the right track if you feel it when going up and down, like over a speed bump.

Other general advice for slop in the rear would be to check over control arms and sway bar components as well. Worn sway bar links could have more of a clanky loose sounding noise. Worn control or panhard bars would be more of a solid thud.

If you do a quick visual do your bushings look rotted out or seem worn?

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I replaced the links when I did the shocks so I should be good there. However, end link bushings were horrid (the sway bar bushings were ok) so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of bushings need replacement. I will get my eyes on the control arm bushings. I reached under in the dark last night and grabbed one LCA and there wasn't any play. But I'll try to get a visual.

From searching around it seems the control arm bushings aren't generally replaceable. Is there a go-to for replacement arms? I've seen Slee and MetalTech, not sure if those would be overkill. This is primarily an on-road vehicle.

I reached under in the dark last night and grabbed one LCA and there wasn't any play.
Yeah, that method won’t work.

From searching around it seems the control arm bushings aren't generally replaceable. Is there a go-to for replacement arms? I've seen Slee and MetalTech, not sure if those would be overkill. This is primarily an on-road vehicle.
They’re replaceable but you need a press. If this is primarily used on-road, I’d prob just buy some Mevotech or similar cheap bois for $50-70 an arm. New Toyota arms are like $200 a piece. The cheap-o aftermarket like mevotech won’t last as long as Toyota, but whatevs.

You ever find the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom