Body Mounts Rusted Through (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Except not on the frame side, on the body side.

Have you guys run into this before and if so what did you do with it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
IMG_20230323_142900.jpg

IMG_20230323_142909.jpg

IMG_20230323_142905.jpg

Where is that exactly?
It's the front passenger side, kind of up on the wheel well?

I've had a couple guys look at it, both have said it's possible to lift the body to fix it but they don't want to do it because it's basically really time consuming. I've got one more to talk to Monday. I'm already grieving, I'd hoped to have a lot more years with this guy.

I looked at mine. When I did I realized that mount was partially damaged from corrosion when I had the floor boatrds behind each front wheel cut out and new metal welded in. The body shop was able to cut out the rusted parts and weld in new pieces since the sheet metal was still in the "protruded" shape it came as from the factory. Yours appears to be crushed. I just was informed on this forum of additional rust in the passenger rear wheelwell where the thrid row seats attach. When I poked at that a hole appeared. Had I know these issues before I bought a GX470 I would never have bought one.

I looked at mine. When I did I realized that mount was partially damaged from corrosion when I had the floor boatrds behind each front wheel cut out and new metal welded in. The body shop was able to cut out the rusted parts and weld in new pieces since the sheet metal was still in the "protruded" shape it came as from the factory. Yours appears to be crushed. I just was informed on this forum of additional rust in the passenger rear wheelwell where the thrid row seats attach. When I poked at that a hole appeared. Had I know these issues before I bought a GX470 I would never have bought one.
It's pretty painful. Mine still looks perfect on the outside, and I've never had a car I liked so much, but it's got car cancer.

At least yours still drives!

Is the damage preventing you from driving it? Mine looks great as well. I should have bought an older Highlander. They are bullet proof. I have to replace the timing belt and water pump in a couple months.

Where do you live? I am central Wisconsin and my body shop guy could fix it for a reasonable price. He did all the mentioned sheet metal repair for $900.

Where do you live? I am central Wisconsin and my body shop guy could fix it for a reasonable price. He did all the mentioned sheet metal repair for $900.
I'm in Illinois. If he saw the pictures and was willing to take it on I'd get my GX up there.

Wisconsin makes sense for the rust. I love the GX but not buying a Midwest one again.

His shop is outside Stevens Point by a few miles to the east. You would come staright up Hwy 39. Is the sheet metal pans behind that mount OK? Did you check the passenger side wheel well to see if that area is rusting through? Mine looked OK until I started picking at it. Since he is fixing my wheel well for a couple hundred bucks it makes sense for him to fix all your issues.

Here is a picture that was posted on a thread title "Intro to GXOR!" It is the inside of the rear passenger side wheel well and what happens in there.

Fluid Film (Sheep Wool Grease....ie Lanolin) will stop it from Rusting More.
Astro Sprayer is $15 on Amazon - You need to supply Compressor.

Fluid Film is $43 per gallon and I just used 2 gallons Bathing my Chassis in it - Ohio Truck.

Drop the Rear Tire and spray all up in there and check condition of Spare - Mine is Trashed.

Wear Glasses and hit everything with a Wire Brush then Spray away.

Wrap Exhaust in Newspaper or let it burn off.

Make sure all mechanical work is complete before Spraying else it will be all over you and clothes.

Wear Tyvek suit if you have or Junk clothes.

*If you do not want to spring for Fluid Film Chainsaw Bar &Chain oil is $13 per gallon and China*Mart. It will work as well.

Grease/Oil creates an Air Barrier which stops Rust, but Flaky Rust must be Removed 1st else it cannot reach the metal.

**I Buy 5 gallon bucket as I have 5 Old Toyotas.

I use Fluid Film on all my vehicles. It has saved my truck. I use a compressor and the Fluid Film gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom