Bluetooth options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chatt100

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for a 100 as a DD for my wife but she has to have Bluetooth calling/music. Finding a 99-01 that would make it easy but having a hard time finding a clean one. Also would be nice that have the extra HP of the later models.

Trying to weed through all the threads has been a little confusing so wanted to see what peoples thoughts are after having had some of the different options for several years.

Seems like the BT45-TOY Bluetooth and VAIS systems come up most often

What do you like/dislike?

How user friendly are they?

How is integration with the factory system?

Risk it with an android 'tesla style' unit?

Should I just say screw it and buy a 200 😂 :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I have a Grom Bluetooth module in my 2000 Land Cruiser, and I have absolutely loved it. I still have my factory head unit in the car, and all it did was just plug into the back. it was a super simple installation, and there is even a microphone you can run up to the rear view mirror so that you can use the system for bluetooth calls. I went with this approach over getting a new head unit with apple car play because I thought leaving the original radio in the car kept the interior looking period correct. It is pretty much flawless and I have had zero issues with it. The integration is perfect, and I have liked it so much that I installed the exact same system in two of my other cars.

I have a Grom Bluetooth module in my 2000 Land Cruiser, and I have absolutely loved it. I still have my factory head unit in the car, and all it did was just plug into the back. it was a super simple installation, and there is even a microphone you can run up to the rear view mirror so that you can use the system for bluetooth calls. I went with this approach over getting a new head unit with apple car play because I thought leaving the original radio in the car kept the interior looking period correct. It is pretty much flawless and I have had zero issues with it. The integration is perfect, and I have liked it so much that I installed the exact same system in two of my other cars.
x2 - the GROM is great.

It was super easy to add a bluetooth radio to my non-nav '99 to replace the crusty OEM radio. The sound improvement was a nice surprise and totally worth the hassle.

FYI - Bluetooth in the 200 isn't that great according to my wife.

Highly recommend the BT45. I have a 06 but I think they have a model which works with older 100's as well. This thing connects 100% all of the time - never had a more reliable or solid bluetooth connection then with the BT45 - and that includes the oem one on a 2013 Totota FJ.

Also FWIW I don't think streaming audio bluetooth came with the 200 until 2011 - before that it was phone only.

Bt-45 is absolute easiest. Aftermarket hu is more work, slightly more cost if you don’t diy and she probably won’t appreciate it..

also, a 99-01 100 series as your Wife’s dd? Unless you find a show ready 100 in that year which you’ll likely overpay for, She’s either going to be driving your car a lot when you’re baselining/fixing things or habitually pissed at you when she’s stranded.
Find an newer year mall cruiser (06-07) or Consider a 200

How is the audio quality? Currently using a little Bluetooth aux dongle in her current GX470 and the audio quality and volume is horrible.

Was looking at the V-line and seems like a nice idea to have CarPlay, etc but I've found that in my 80 with CarPlay its easier to just do all the app stuff on your phone and stream audio/calls

Bt-45 is absolute easiest. Aftermarket hu is more work, slightly more cost if you don’t diy and she probably won’t appreciate it..

also, a 99-01 100 series as your Wife’s dd? Unless you find a show ready 100 in that year which you’ll likely overpay for, She’s either going to be driving your car a lot when you’re baselining/fixing things or habitually pissed at you when she’s stranded.
Find an newer year mall cruiser (06-07) or Consider a 200

After reading more I think you're right. I have an aftermarket HU in my 80 and honestly never use CarPlay because its a pain to look down and just easier to do everything from the phone on a well placed mount. Finding a clean newer model will be easier plus would be nice to get the extra HP and reliability.

How are the climate controls on the OEM unit? Its a real pain in her current GX470. I can't believe anyone ever thought it was a good idea to have to individually press the climate control button 10-15 times per side to go from hot to cold, etc

How is the audio quality? Currently using a little Bluetooth aux dongle in her current GX470 and the audio quality and volume is horrible.

Was looking at the V-line and seems like a nice idea to have CarPlay, etc but I've found that in my 80 with CarPlay its easier to just do all the app stuff on your phone and stream audio/calls
Audio quality of the GROM is identical to putting a CD in your factory stereo.

2004 and up has factory Bluetooth for phone calls ( no streaming). It works well enough I have not been compelled to swap it.

yes
any helpful insight/tips?
iOS has this weird setup in which the phone portion of the Bluetooth automatically uses the phone speaker instead of the stereo speakers for incoming calls. There is a setting that you can change in your iPhone so that when it’s connected to Bluetooth, the phone will answer through the stereo. I don’t remember what setting it was that I had to change in my phone to resolve this but the Googles has the answer somewhere.

Which model Grom do you have. I need something for my 2003 LC. Thx!

My car came with a VAIS system installed when I purchased it. It works ok. Links up automatically. I don't use it for phone calls, just music. There have been a few times when the music stops playing (doesn't lose bluetooth connection), and I have to click the DISC button twice to cycle it back to the VAIS and then it works fine.
I don't love it or hate it...it works most of the time.

If you get a 99-01, I could be wrong for the 00-01 but aren’t they just double din slot? I have a 99 and mine was just double din. I bought a pioneer double din (I think it’s the AVH series) and installed it. It has BT with mic. It automatically picks up my phone bt when I get in the cab. You can get one that have Apple car play that’ll fit in the same slot. Easy install once you get the trim off.

If you get a 99-01, I could be wrong for the 00-01 but aren’t they just double din slot? I have a 99 and mine was just double din.
Minor corrections... it would be 98-02 and double din stereos were only standard in the non-nav units.

Nav equipped units combined the HVAC and other controls into the nav system itself, in 03 and newer through the touch screen and in 02 and older with buttons around the edges of the nav screen. Starting in 03, I think there were basically zero non-nav units sold in the US (there are a tiny handful of non-nav out there). I don't know the ratio of nav to non-nav in 02 and older.... I'd guess 50-50? Maybe a little higher percentage of non-nav early and by 02 a little over half? On LCs, the HVAC controls were the three rotary dials. I'm less up to date on the LX side. I've seen some non-nav that had push buttons instead of rotary dials, but I don't know if this was across the board. I also get the impression the LX side had a higher percentage of nav equipped units than the LC side.

If by bluetooth the OP just means hands free calling, I think all the 03-07 LCs had hands free calling fully integrated through the nav systems. I know for sure my 06 and 07 LCs did, so I assume the 03-05 did as well since they share the same nav system.

There are two threads on this forum to convert the nav equipped units to be non-nav, one for 2003 and newer and one for 2002 and older as they are different processes. What both processes share is that they are first establishing HVAC and other controls separate from the stereo system, and then adding a double din stereo where you can add CarPlay or Android capabilities. You don't have to be an electrical engineer to do either conversion, but you can't be the village idiot either. See those threads for details. By far the easiest solution for the OP is to buy a 98-02 non-nav unit where establishing full and modern bluetooth and CarPlay / Android functionality is as simple as replacing the OEM double din stereo with a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom