Blown fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
aloha all

My 10a gauge fuse keeps blowing out.. not sure why. I replaced it and all gauges work for a few days, but then nothing. I replaced my EFI relay because it looks like I've got some issues there too. I've read about all of the electrical issues that could be potential problems. Definitely a noob when it comes to electric work and everything I've learned about my cruiser is from this wonderful site.

Any ideas?

IMG_1298.JPG

Sorry about image size, still trying to figure out mobile posting.. I thought I should say too, that both of these relays are older. The one on the bottom is the one I just replaced.

A blown fuse usually means a short, pinched/broken wire, or malfunctioning accessory. If you haven't got a multimeter, get a respectable one and start tracing wires!

Right on, I've got a decent one so I'll see what I can find. Is it possible that the two are related? The EFI and the gauge fuse?

Same here!
My 10a gauge fuse just keeps on blowing.

Been trying to figure it out, it doesnt seem to be the blower, but it usaally but not always blows when cranking with the blower on or other accessories.

I get a lot of water on the inside driver floor, it might be drooling throught something.

I was just looking through the EWD PG 43 to 49. There are a LOT of things that go through that fuse. Because of that there are a couple of approaches I would take:

1. Trace wires from the fuse block to wiring harness connector. Peel off any foam and inspect it for burns or corrosion. Had I started here on mine it would have been obvious where my issue was and saved me a lot of time.
2. Print off the EWD pages 22 -28 (assuming you're using the 1996 EWD), and pages 42-49. I would highlight the location and circuits related to the gauge fuse and start systematically flipping switches to see which one triggers the blown fuse. As stated in a recent thread about differences between a 95, 96, 97 engine, they have some different sensors so don't overlook anything. If yours is pre-95 obviously you need a completely different manual.
3. I'd start looking anywhere there is any water or any aftermarket tie ins to your electrical system. I would pull the after market crap out and fix the harnesses.
The A-pillar, windshield leakage, heater lines, rear windshield washer line, exterior switches and connectors. There are a lot of places to look though for this fuse.
4. I haven't tried this one before, but theoretically it should work. Because of the sheer number of possibilities and the fact that tracing wires for this fuse could be a nightmare I would borrow or buy (about $200) a Flir thermal camera for my android phone and see which wires or connectors are heating up. Should be a good indicator of where the short is.

Good luck!

This is great advice, i will follow it.
Thanks! My 80 is a 96 too.
I might check it out over the weekend since it's pretty anoying.

There is a lot of things on that fuse, you are right.
Weird things too..
Today, i had the fuse blown 10 sec after the truck started and i could still use the electric windows
A minute later, windows where dead. When its blown, Blower stops, gauges are dead, cdl switch (i added) doesnt activate de center diff, and i guess i will learn others too.
[Edit] ohh and the idle is very low, too low, flat low near dying low.

Will report back, thanks again!

I don't envy you.

Its intermittent so its giving me a hard time.

Plus its on switch on and/or on starup, when it feels like it.
I doesnt fail while running so far.

I checked the harnesses flexing them, inspecting, everything is clean.
No water, at least no recent water, some rust down the a pillar,

The carpets are completly soaked tho, i have to check that moonroof tube.

My dome fuse keeps blowing. I feel your pain.

I wonder if the security system is linked to the 10a gauge fuse..
Last night it went nuts by it self and probably malfunctionning
(i didnt even know i had one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom