Blow By Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LJ78 2LTE in CA purchased back in 2019. EGR delete done at home and smoke was minimal. Drove great aside from an oil leak and would die after a long hill when letting off the throttle. 3rd and current mechanic traced oil leak to the fuel pump which was resealed. Car now smokes worse (blue gray) and has zero power. Current images of blow by in turbo. Mechanic is suggesting new turbo or rebuilding, however previous owner has confirmed new upgraded heads, turbo and timing belt were all replaced. Have a lead on another mechanic in Burbank but was wondering any thoughts or recommendations?

86F572B7-1602-4140-AF00-6CCFB7884507.jpeg

7BFF507D-D242-45FD-9B35-8BD01D28D02A.jpeg

E70950DF-BB5E-453B-8202-549D683B0BAC.jpeg

Do you have 2L/3L/5L FSM? If not I can email it to you.

Per Mr. T, they pretty much direct you to do a compression test so long as your timing does not seem out of whack. I’m willing to bet the good ‘ole 2LTE got a little too hot in the head (and i’m sure there are tons of existing threads of guys with solutions on here) or one or some of your piston rings just finally gave up the ghost.

The compression test is super easy to do at home. Just get a diesel compressions gauge and it takes about 15min to do start to finish.

Do you have 2L/3L/5L FSM? If not I can email it to you.

Per Mr. T, they pretty much direct you to do a compression test so long as your timing does not seem out of whack. I’m willing to bet the good ‘ole 2LTE got a little too hot in the head (and i’m sure there are tons of existing threads of guys with solutions on here) or one or some of your piston rings just finally gave up the ghost.

The compression test is super easy to do at home. Just get a diesel compressions gauge and it takes about 15min to do start to finish.
Hi - I do have the FSM on hand and have provided to them.

Compression test yielded the following -

1:300
2:300
3:320
4:350

Shop states when they put oil on the cylinders, the compression goes all the way to 450. They suspects that the rings are bad and they cannot hold the compression.

They are recommending an engine rebuild at this point. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not too familiar with the 2LTE and the exact symptoms of what happens when the 2LTE head overheats, but this probably is one of the symptoms of that very common problem with the 2LTE.

But, If I were you, I'd ahead and pull the engine out (it's not super hard to do and I find it much easier to work on the engine with it out anyways), strip the accessories off of it (AC/Power steering etc), check the timing belt, then take the whole head off to see head gasket and check for cracks. While you're doing that, I would probably go deep into the abyss of IH8MUD to see what other people have done to fix a 2LTE, but I would probably also get a 3L head, full engine rebuild kit from Australia, timing and h2o pump kit, and a mechanical boost compensated injector from Australia and some how ditch the whole ECU system. While you're waiting for parts, try and find a machine shop that's willing to work on it.

Have a read through these 2 manuals. May help diagnose the issue with turbo and loss of power.

Have you done some basic testing on your spill control valve? Maybe try an ohm reading. Anything above +2 may indicate a faulty / problematic valve.

Also use the diagnostic port as a start:

- 2L-TE Fault Codes - Diagnosis & Clearing - Hilux/4Runner/Surf Topics - http://www.westcoastcruisers.com.au/forums/topic/1622-2l-te-fault-codes-diagnosis-clearing/
- Toyota 2LTE error codes - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/toyota-2lte-error-codes.201623/

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2L%2C2L-T%2C3L%2C5L ENGINE SUP. RM582E.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom