Blanca Peak August 23rd-24th 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who is still up to run this? I propose we go on the 23rd and make it to the top and camp overnight. Then on the 24th we all come down in the morning. I am not sure what time we should leave from the springs on Saturday but my guess is early so we won't have to deal with rain on the trail. I was also thinking about going down Friday night and camping to make it easier on me and the family in the morning. Any thoughts or suggestions? And if you guys would rather make it a day trip just voice your opinion. I can change the meeting spot if needed. I have never run this trail but from what I have read and thoughts of others so far that have, if it's raining on the trail it makes it very dangerous and probably impassable. So if it needs to be called off I say we call it a game day decision. Trail damage is not working but once it is I will provide a link.

Meeting spot: 1007 Bonforte Blvd, Pueblo Colorado. Basically I-25 and highway 50
Meeting time: 6am

Trail head meet time- 8:30 am
Trail head departure time-9 am

Who is going:
Karas-camping yes, with my whole family
Brett- camping possibly, wife and 2 4 wheelers
Goslow-camping yes,
Ryan- camping yes
Luke-camping yes
Mike- I would think he's camping
Rubicon guy- probably camping
Jess- possibly camping
Todd-possibly camping

Last edited:
I would be up for heading down on Friday. I can load and prep the 80 on the trailer the night before. Normally, I can head out of work around lunch time and grab the trailer and head down.

I will be camping - solo this time.

These are all from Brett remember he has 37's and the bronco probably is pretty big too
the bronco is coming down jaws 1
brett if you see that i don't have some its because a couple i couldn't view for some reason and if you want to resend those i will try and get them posted up.

Thanks for posting, just sent 2 more to your email.

Also if anyone is interested they can park at the house. I am across the valley though and around an hour away from the entrance.

Thank you for posting the vids.

Planning on going, if everyone is camping then I will try to camp. If not it will be a day trip. It should be me plus wife and 2 4 wheelers. Logistically a lot easier for turn and burn. We have been getting rain every evening on this side and weather at the time of the trip may play a big factor.

Sounds good. We will have to wait until the day to see. It has been one of the wettest years since I have lived here.

For comparisons sake here is the 40 sitting on the skidplate going up on Jaws 1. The front tires are a good bit off the ground.
IMG_1801.JPG

I'm pretty hardcore, but I'm not stupid. Blanca in the rain doesn't sound like any fun to me. Watched a whole pile of videos on Blanca last night, doesn't seem as bad as I thought, chuck used to tell me "if jaws 2 was anywhere else but on that shelf, you'd drive over it and never think twice" that seems pretty accurate. Saw a lot of guys slipping sideways on the top of that obstacle, mostly on the way down, looks pretty spooky. I'm guessing that would be worse when wet. Hope the weather holds out.

It is spooky enough dry so if it's raining I won't be going. I will have to check out some of the other vids.

Been checking out the videos as well. That photo Bret posted puts it into perspective much better. I'm still up for it, but that is very weather dependent.

As a bad weather alternate there is a quarry on my side of the valley that folks apparently go to to test or practice for moab. I haven't gotten over there yet since I just got directions the other day. Just depends on how the weather crosses the valley over here.

I've been over Jaws 1 and honestly it creeped me out pretty well.

So by looking at the photo. If I didn't have a skid covering the transfer case I would most likely mess it up right? I may need to winch 2 times. Might as well leave the cable out the whole trip since it is a pita to pull out.

I'm pretty hardcore, but I'm not stupid. Blanca in the rain doesn't sound like any fun to me. Watched a whole pile of videos on Blanca last night, doesn't seem as bad as I thought, chuck used to tell me "if jaws 2 was anywhere else but on that shelf, you'd drive over it and never think twice" that seems pretty accurate. Saw a lot of guys slipping sideways on the top of that obstacle, mostly on the way down, looks pretty spooky. I'm guessing that would be worse when wet. Hope the weather holds out.

That is a true statement. It would actually be fun to fart around on even. If the cost of sliding off wasn't rolling down the mountain. Everything else truly was a matter of driving up. Very undramatic. That being said it can go from Whitehouse to $ hit house in seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom